Enttec DMX USB Pro
  • videsad

Enttec DMX USB Pro

by videsad » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Hello.

i am a new DMX user. Have buy a new DMX USB Pro adapter. So now i like to use the Adapter for controll the LED PAR Spots in our Club in Bürglen.

I need a TUTORIAL for the use wit this Hardware. Please give me feedback as soon as possible.

Greets videsad

http://klangwelt7.ch/provisorium.html
    http://www.youtube.com/user/videsad
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:12 pm

- Make sure you install the driver for the ENTTEC device. Download it from the ENTTEC web site.

- After you make sure that the ENTTEC device is connected to your computer and that the lamp is connected to your ENTTEC device you can launch Modul8.

- In the modul8 preferences under the DMX tab make sure you can see that the ENTTEC device is recognized and that modul8 is in 'send mode.'

- Reading the manual of your LED PAR CAN find out what channels it is using. Usually most cans are 2 for intensity, 3 for red etc.

- Download the 8 CHANNEL DMX module.

- Use the sliders to control the channels that are assigned in the fields to the left of the sliders.

This module is a very basic one but it gives you immediate access to controlling lights and DMX devices. There will be more modules in the future and if you have suggestions as to how you would like to control your lights it will be helpful to everyone to share them here so the Modul8 Team and community of module developers can respond.
  • chrismac86

Only 255 channels????????

by chrismac86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am

whats the deal with modul8 "supporting" dmx, ie. Why can i only patch in half of a dmx universe? Im waiting on the enttec usb pro, does this need to be plugged in to enable me to patch all 512 channels????
    (why you would choose this as a dmx device for media god only knows.. ever heard of the enttec DMX over artnet adapter?! and even going the other way.. to map a LED can wall would need wayyyyy more than one universe)
    boris
    garageCube team

Re: Only 255 channels????????

by boris » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi,
    About which module are you speaking ?
    DMX Modules are supposed support 512 channels.
    About Artnet we are actually working on.

Best,
    Boris.

chrismac86 wrote:whats the deal with modul8 "supporting" dmx, ie. Why can i only patch in half of a dmx universe? Im waiting on the enttec usb pro, does this need to be plugged in to enable me to patch all 512 channels????
    (why you would choose this as a dmx device for media god only knows.. ever heard of the enttec DMX over artnet adapter?! and even going the other way.. to map a LED can wall would need wayyyyy more than one universe)
    Boris * garageCube team
  • chindogu

by chindogu » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:29 am

enntec DMXIS support please!!!!!
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm

chindogu wrote:enntec DMXIS support please!!!!!

DMXIS seems to be usable only with the DMXIS software; it is part of a bundle (DMXIS software+hardware). ENTTEC does not provide any documentation on how to "use" the DMXIS in another software.

In the example videos :
    http://www.enttec.com/tutorials/dmxis/albeton.html
    Ableton remote control DMXIS software via VST plugin

http://www.enttec.com/tutorials/dmxis/cubase2.html
    Cubase is using MIDI to driver DMXIS

David
    David * GarageCUBE team * Modul8 developer
  • chrismac

by chrismac » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm

ummm i had to edit the code of the dmx module to enable me to patch in more than 255 channels.. had an if statement in it saying if channel number >255 then chanel = 255..
    just for the record a dmx universe starts at 0 and ends at 511 modul8's dmx veiwer reads from 1-512 which means you lose 2 dmx channels..
    plus could i get a tutorial for the dmx layer fixture module as i cant get my dmx patch to affect one target layer.. if i patch ctrl_layer_alpha to channel 314/pos 4 it just affects all of the layers at the same time rather than just controlling the alpha channel to layer 4..
    any thoughts?

oh and as for the artnet... thank god!! modul8 is the best program out there and for me this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle that would make it perfect..

boris wrote:Hi,
    About which module are you speaking ?
    DMX Modules are supposed support 512 channels.
    About Artnet we are actually working on.

Best,
    Boris.

chrismac86 wrote:whats the deal with modul8 "supporting" dmx, ie. Why can i only patch in half of a dmx universe? Im waiting on the enttec usb pro, does this need to be plugged in to enable me to patch all 512 channels????
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello Chrismac,

chrismac wrote:just for the record a dmx universe starts at 0 and ends at 511 modul8's dmx veiwer reads from 1-512 which means you lose 2 dmx channels..

In fact, Modul8 address DMX using : channels 1 to 512 inclusive.

"channel" 0 gives you access to the start code which is reserved and should always be 0.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMX512-A#Protocol

The DMX USB Pro allows using a different start code for specific applications. But perhaps, it was a bad idea from our side to give users access to it ?!

Regards.

David
    David * GarageCUBE team * Modul8 developer
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh!
    I understand now, it's about the "DMX fixture" module and the start channel of a fixture.

You are correct. I mistakenly limited the amount of channels to 256 instead of 512.

I changed the code as well, and it's now updated in the online library (v1.2).

Thank you for your valuable report.

A tutorial is already written, and will be included in a forthcoming user manual. Unfortunately it is a bit delayed. Our apologies for that.

About your specific problem with the ctrl_layer_alpha, it seems weird, can you send me a project file with your fixture configuration to support at garagecube dot com so we can investigate what is happening?

Boris.

chrismac wrote:ummm i had to edit the code of the dmx module to enable me to patch in more than 255 channels.. had an if statement in it saying if channel number >255 then chanel = 255..
    just for the record a dmx universe starts at 0 and ends at 511 modul8's dmx veiwer reads from 1-512 which means you lose 2 dmx channels..
    plus could i get a tutorial for the dmx layer fixture module as i cant get my dmx patch to affect one target layer.. if i patch ctrl_layer_alpha to channel 314/pos 4 it just affects all of the layers at the same time rather than just controlling the alpha channel to layer 4..
    any thoughts?

oh and as for the artnet... thank god!! modul8 is the best program out there and for me this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle that would make it perfect..
    Boris * garageCube team
  • vjtasara

by vjtasara » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:38 am

Hi,

I have been reading online and in here for hours and some things are still out of my grasp. So here goes...

I am ready to get an external device for Modul8. With DMX control newly enabled in 2.6, do I skip right over Midi and get a DMX controller, to use it in the same way the Midi controller does? Then plug a DMX light right into the DMX controller as well?

I am not running the audio so it would be fun to manually run the lights from the board as well as Modul8. I'm not sure how Modul8 sw controls could run a light.

Thanks for your patience. It seems so much is assumed in the user guide.

TAsara
    ________
    Magic Flight Launch Box
    Last edited by vjtasara on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • vjtasara

by vjtasara » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:51 am

OH, I guess the DMX module might have controls in Modul8 that a MIDI device then controls?

So you are going from 2 USB ports (MacBook Pro).
    ________
    No2 Vaporizer
    Last edited by vjtasara on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • vjtasara

by vjtasara » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:15 am

anybody out there who can help? :roll:
    ________
    BUY HOT BOX
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 am

You are right, you can control the lights with a midi controller with the help of the DMX modules. It probably be better/cheaper for you to start out with a simple midi controler like for instance a Korg NanoKontrol. If you like it, add on the Entec DMX device and start controlling some lights.
  • vjtasara

by vjtasara » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:50 pm

YAY! THANK YOU!! I am so excited. And I actually ordered a NanoKontrol just a few days ago. I have a contract job right now that is helping me gear up so I can dive back into the visual fun at another level.

cheers,

Tasara
    ________
    Mazda R100
  • anatomico

dmx protocols have proven the mand ma?

by anatomico » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 am

dmx protocols have proven the grand ma?
    Last edited by anatomico on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Digital Worker