Reconnect media - WHEN!
  • vanakaru
    master

Reconnect media - WHEN!

by vanakaru » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

I needed a quick run some of my old projects. I had taken great effort to save all the clips and projects in the same folders and made sure they run. Now some time later when I load a project no media is found AGAIN!!!!!
    Can you tell how mad I am?
    I have to go through the process finding the names and spots then reload all the clips again.
    Reconnect media has been asked many times. Have you any update on this
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm

vanakaru, I feel your pain.

I have had this problem before and usually if you carefully investigate your folders you will probably find a solution to your problem.

If you store your media in a folder at the same directory level as your modul8 project file you will never have any problems.

You can move media within these sub directories or rename folders within it and modul8 will still load the media correctly.

You can move the whole directory containing the project file and the media files and it will also load.

I have tested all of the above very carefully with my own projects.

I want a media collector as well. It takes time to develop and we will have one. Until then it just requires some diligence and caution.
  • vjscan

Re: Reconnect media - WHEN!

by vjscan » Sat May 11, 2013 6:11 pm

any follow up since 2011? still cant reconnect media?
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sat May 11, 2013 7:10 pm

just put your M8 project in the same folder as the media. like the man said..
    Last edited by deepvisual on Fri May 17, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    leolodreamland

by leolodreamland » Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 pm

that's totally impractical, i chuck stuff into media bins out of my pics/video folders, really don't want to duplicate pics and videos into 'modul8' folders. i just reinstalled to an ssd and moved my home folder. all my projects are fuxked. a RELINK option would be really nice... even just using relative paths to see the current home folder would work. prolly take a minute.
    master

by deepvisual » Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 pm

well, in simple professional terms, we should all keep dupes of everything for backup.
    when I work I have two identical systems, two macs with two identical external HDDS each with all the vids and images I need for my shows.
    the M8 show files are kept in a folder in the same folder as the videos etc in the top directory of each HDD.
    this works fine with resolume and VDMX as well. I can swap the disks around no prob, though I do have to relink in resolume when I do this.

it works, its foolproof and I never have to relink files in M8.
    leolodreamland

by leolodreamland » Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 pm

of course i've got my clips duplicated across backups and computers but not on the same computer. i just don't have that kind of space. are you suggesting this is an unreasonable request? it is becoming standard, in simple and professional terms. vdmx even uses the spotlight index to replace clips. super easy.
    master

by deepvisual » Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I wouldn't say its an unreasonable request, but its a bit of a luxury, given the simplicity of the work around of keeping your 128 clips together with the show file.
    for me, its far less of a priority than say, having more than 128 clips or syphon in ( which they have now fixed -ish)
  • ilan

by ilan » Sat May 18, 2013 3:35 am

2.7 beta has a 'Export project and medias' that creates a folder that compiles a folder with all your medias into one folder. This will be the immediate solution for the near future.

For the moment I cannot comment on of any more solutions that will come in future releases.
    leolodreamland

by leolodreamland » Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 am

Missed that. It deffo helps. Might have moved to ssd but kept the old system on the other drive just in case of things like this. Moved all my video to ssd, natch, but I use modul8 mainly for throwing pngs about.