M8 running not smooth sudently
  • pop com

M8 running not smooth sudently

by pop com » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:22 pm

hello,

I have a macbook pro running on MacOS 10.6.3
    + NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT + 4 Go RAM + Modul8 2.6.1

First time it happens... in a middle of a gig, Modul8 start to run too slow, not smooth at all. Visuals not following the music anymore..
    What do you recommend to prevend that to happend again?
    I have a gig on friday, and now I freak out that it happen again..

(is it a problem of memory?
    should I put the medias on "direct to disk" in info, would that help?
    What to do if this happen again?)

thank you
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

Could it be some sort of disk activity outside Modul8?

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#10

The tip in the link above to run activity monitor is a very good idea. When the problem occurs you should do this. Take a screenshot then send the screenshot to the forum or to modul8 support if you cannot identify the problem yourself.
  • pop com

by pop com » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 am

hi,

Thank you for the reply,
    As suggested, I launched the activity monitor and started to work on Modul8 when the sudently "slow down" happended again
    (after just 1h of use, with only pictures as media..)
    M8 went suddently from around 40%,60% of processer to 115% !!
    Nothing else was running (took also off all widgets stuff as recommended on link...)
    and it didn't went down... I had to restart

(I have the screen shot af the Activity Monitor when it slowed down, how do I attached picture here? )

Don't really know what to do as the problem seems to happen so easily... : (

Thank you in advance for your help
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:23 am

If modul8's cpu use increase like that it must be something from modul8.

What effects are you using? how many modules are active?
  • pop com

by pop com » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:06 pm

hello,

Not much, really..
    - Only module text was active (but I also try to make it inactive..and doesn t help)
    - Effect: auto color, auto scale, sound in, trace, blur, luma key + color
    (sometimes on the same media)
    - Medias were only pictures (png, psd) not even a third of the medias library were used, and less then half of the groups used.

I used previously the exact same version of M8 with much heavier staff without problem (many movies+psd+photoshop running at the same time)
    The slow down just happended latly on a gig after 3 to 4h of playing and medias including movies...
    But it seems to get much worse, I can't do anything with it now.
    Just jump to 112% went a started the software today and does not go down and a tried it few times...same thing happenning : (

Just to precise it is happening with different saved set (saved with the same version), so I don't think it is coming from files.

If no other solution, as I have a gig on friday, I could borrow an other macbook pro (but which has only 2Go memory, should that be enough?) and install M8 on it...as a quick fix for the night.

but otherwise what would you recommend? to reinstall it all?

thank you in advance for your help

Julie
  • strictly

by strictly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:41 pm

are your still images (png, jpgs) 300 dpi? I find this is too large for modul 8, and I use 72 dpi images. just a thought.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Some of the stuff you are doing is pretty processor intensive like luma key. Not sure about the trace, but I imagine. PSD is not the ultimate image format to use. Have you considered jpg or png? And as Strictly says, 300dpi is way too much, 72 is enough. Maybe a bit more if you do some scaling (or consider using a larger image dimension). I would not run Photoshop at the same time. And how much free space do you have on your primary HD? OSX will slow you down if you have less that 1GB free.

But having that said on my old MBP I used to get performance issues when the computer got hot about two hours in to the set. I think there used to be power issues before too if you had to many non powered USB and FireWire accessories plugged in. And I've had performance issues when I've been running on battery only (when the power cord had been yanked out by accident).

Now you have a bunch of things to try out. Good luck!
  • Cila MacDowell

by Cila MacDowell » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:11 am

I am having similar problems with consecutive crashes using my Macbook Pro with 2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 4GB 667 MHz DDR3 SDRam.
    And even having my saved md8 files corrupted after crashing! I don't think is simply a matter of media effects or codec issue, cause i worked before with modul8 on my old g4 and never got so embraraced in my gigs as now.

I am sad, and needing help!!! ! :(...
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am

Cila MacDowell wrote:I am having similar problems with consecutive crashes using my Macbook Pro with 2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 4GB 667 MHz DDR3 SDRam.
    And even having my saved md8 files corrupted after crashing! I don't think is simply a matter of media effects or codec issue, cause i worked before with modul8 on my old g4 and never got so embraraced in my gigs as now.

I am sad, and needing help!!! ! :(...

what the crash report say. it is useless to talk about here with this limited information. If you do not have crash report you may find some on Cosole. And I suggest to send logs to garagecube support.
    As for being embarrassed at the gig - use backup system(DVD, second computer etc) if you consider yourself PRO by any means whatever app you using. I assume you run test with your setup before the show.
    And be sensible with the layers and effects you are using. Find your machine limits and stay safe.
    I use MBP 4.1 2,5ghz 4g RAM with nVidia 512 graphics and do not remember having M8 to crash at the show ever.
  • Cila MacDowell

by Cila MacDowell » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:12 pm

THank you for the reply i will get the crash report and logs sent to suport. I am not blaming modul8 for my embarrassment, in fact I first consider that i am doing something wrong. I will redo my mac system and see if still the same. Unfortunately i didn't have enough time to test last show and was the first time md8 crash at a gig. But I always have your advices in mind. growing to be as pro improving knowledge hard and software.
    Take care
    Cila