MIDI mapping mess!
  • vanakaru
    master

MIDI mapping mess!

by vanakaru » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:30 pm

CAN I HAVE A POSSIBILITY TO WRITE MIDI ADDRESSES TO MAPS IN MODUL8? PLEASE I REALLY NEED THIS!
    I had a major problem with midi mapping again. I have been moving away from Modul8 with my multimedia projects, but it still is the best running video tool. So I had to have a combination of doing all sensor processing with Isadora and actual video show with Modul8.
    The difficulties start with that my sensors are on the stage and I am in video booth. So I can not activate the sensors and map M8. Then i have a helper on the stage with whom I try to communicate by shouting over the sound check. Then I had midi coming from 6 virtual inputs and somehow only 3 of them mapped to M8. Then it appeared that one of the remaining 3 actually mapper, but in wrong place (in Set-Media:In-Layer) and did not show up on my M8 screen and I could not get rid of it even with quitting the module.
    And to top of everything it triggered some unwanted random behavior during the show.
    So to me the ability to actually write/type MIDI addresses on controllers in mapping window would be the only option to use this project again next week. Could somebody think of solution for this. I am getting rather desperate.
  • camil

by camil » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm

You can use midi monitor to read the exact midi messages coming from your sensors. After that, if some of the messages are not recognized by M8 you can use a tool like bome's midi translator to convert the midi messages in to something that Modul8 can recognize.In screenshot attached is an example where i used bome's midi translator to translate midi messages from akai apc40 to modul8 and back to akai apc40, since apc40 can accept midi feedback.

• mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:06 pm

camil wrote:You can use midi monitor to read the exact midi messages coming from your sensors. After that, if some of the messages are not recognized by M8 you can use a tool like bome's midi translator to convert the midi messages in to something that Modul8 can recognize.In screenshot attached is an example where i used bome's midi translator to translate midi messages from akai apc40 to modul8 and back to akai apc40, since apc40 can accept midi feedback.

This is not going to help MIDI mapping is it?

I'm with Vanakaru. When working on involved MIDI set ups having to map things by sending a MIDI message is an absolute nightmare. It will also enable the use of MIDI devices that send more than one MIDI command at the same time.
  • camil

by camil » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm

[quote=“mowgli_uk”]

This is not going to help MIDI mapping is it?

I'm with Vanakaru. When working on involved MIDI set ups having to map things by sending a MIDI message is an absolute nightmare. It will also enable the use of MIDI devices that send more than one MIDI command at the same time.[/quote]

Sorry if I misunderstood vanakaru’s problem, but i think ,actually , this software can help.
    I found it very powerful in some MIDI mapping situations. In modul8 you’ll have to disable your midi device and only enable virtual input from midi translator. So , the midi messages from your device will be received only by MIDI translator and after that you can put anything in output.Let’s take an example:
    I had a situation where , when I press a button I received in modul8 ON and OFF midi note and I only needed the ON. So i put a condition when ON and OFF is received only ON will be transmited to modul 8. With the same method, when you receive only one message, you can send multiple.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Routing and tweaking MIDI messages is not a problem. That is for I use Isadora.
    I had lets say 3 knock sensors coming in as notes 33 44 55 from drum brain. In Isadora I can assign these in different instances as CC control using velocity as control value or Notes On on desired cannel with desired number and I can send out on 6 virtual outputs.
    So it is just however I think to tweak these.
    Just to get the right addresses to the controls in M8 is close to impossible sometimes.
  • camil

by camil » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 pm

I think there is possible to fix these, but i need to take a look at whole project. Maybe a screen sharing with iChat or Skype.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:03 pm

camil wrote:I think there is possible to fix these, but i need to take a look at whole project. Maybe a screen sharing with iChat or Skype.

What I really need is a tool to manually type the addresses on the M8 controller. I know what the address is coming out from Isadora. It is just the mapping so tricky in standard way by clicking on the desired control and then activating the trigger to get the message sent.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:57 pm

vanakaru wrote:[
    What I really need is a tool to manually type the addresses on the M8 controller. I know what the address is coming out from Isadora. It is just the mapping so tricky in standard way by clicking on the desired control and then activating the trigger to get the message sent.

. i agree that a way to just enter the info would be a nice addition to modul8.

. if i understand your situation correctly - when i was in that predicament, i would just set up a controller that was easier to program to send the necessary changes (and not rely on the original piece sending the info) to make life easier. ie, i would use my korg nanokey to send the proper MIDI channel/note assignment to modul8, then use my Ohm36 to actually interact w/modul8.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • camil

by camil » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Just tested. I think is working to map controls in modul8 just by typing.Need more work on this but on first try it worked. Later i will put a screen recording.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:36 pm

anomad wrote:. if i understand your situation correctly - when i was in that predicament, i would just set up a controller that was easier to program to send the necessary changes (and not rely on the original piece sending the info) to make life easier. ie, i would use my korg nanokey to send the proper MIDI channel/note assignment to modul8, then use my Ohm36 to actually interact w/modul8..

-james
    (a nomad. )

I came to this next day too. I could not think to well with all that stress.
  • camil

by camil » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 pm

No MIDI mapping, no key mapping , same input value can be assigned to different modul8 controls. In this movie you can see how can change mapping in modul8 just by typing a value. It is a small example, where, layer 1 alpha is changed with scale.

Here is the screenrecording:

http://gallery.me.com/camyl#100248/Scre ... olor=black

This was done with Two Way Midi module from Vibber.
    http://www.udart.dk/2010/11/25/two-way- ... or-modul8/
  • camil

by camil » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:57 am

Conclusion:
    Two way Midi (UDART) module can assign a MIDI address to each control in modul 8.
    MIDI mapping in Modul8 is not necessary anymore. Let’s take an example with vanakaru situation where he receive a message from a sensor:

in modul 8 can assign MIDI address like CC7 (B0 07 00) for alpha channel of layer1 and CC55 (B0 37 00) for scale (any control can have an exact MIDI address, any addrss, here is just an example) .And from something like Isadora or midi translator you can route message from sensor strict to this address without mapping again in Modul8.

You can route Sensor no. 1 in isadora to channge alpha in layer 1 and after that to change scale , just by type the midi address.And it’s working very well.

Hope this resolve your situation.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 am

That is great. I looked at the module when it was introduced, but since i do not have any controllers that can take midi feedback I did not look any further.
    Way cool!