Painter module with midi
  • TimeSquid

Painter module with midi

by TimeSquid » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 am

Any chance its possible to get the X-Y of where you paint and draw to be mappable?

Im trying to find a better solution to an Ipad Touch OSC drawing tool within Modul8. Dragging a sprite around with tracer all the way up just isnt cutting it. I want pen with an XY midi mapping.

Is it doable?
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:11 pm

why not just use a wacom tablet?
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:33 am

. (shameless self promotion)

. http://vimeo.com/6887692

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • comatory

by comatory » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 am

ilan wrote:why not just use a wacom tablet?

why is it compatible only with this brand?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

comatory wrote:
    ilan wrote:why not just use a wacom tablet?

why is it compatible only with this brand?

Is it? What brand you have problem with?
  • Chase

Re: Painter module with midi

by Chase » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Has anyone figured out a way to control the Painter Module using an iPad? Ideally I'd like to run Sketchbook Pro or Brushes on my iPad (with Retina 2013) and have that control the Painter Module (on my 2011 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7).

Or even better, to bypass the Painter Module all together and have the iPad's drawing app go directly into Modul8 as a Video Capture. I find the Painter Module quite limited, and if there was a way to use a superior drawing program on my iPad and trick Modul8 into thinking that the incoming feed was video, I would be really pleased!!

Thanks
    Michael
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Chase wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to control the Painter Module using an iPad? Ideally I'd like to run Sketchbook Pro or Brushes on my iPad (with Retina 2013) and have that control the Painter Module (on my 2011 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7).

. i would think you could use an x/y element from touchOSC and translate the OSC message to the painter module...

Chase wrote:Or even better, to bypass the Painter Module all together and have the iPad's drawing app go directly into Modul8 as a Video Capture. I find the Painter Module quite limited, and if there was a way to use a superior drawing program on my iPad and trick Modul8 into thinking that the incoming feed was video, I would be really pleased!!

. i don't have any experience w/either of the apps you listed, but it appears sketchbook pro supports video mirroring -
    http://www.fingerpainted.it/2010/05/30/ ... -for-ipad/

-james
    (a nomad. )
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 am

Hi all,

to stream iPad's Sketchbook to Modul8, I will use AirServer which has a Syphon output : http://www.airserverapp.com/

Then I will use Modul8 2.7 Syphon input to put the Sketchbook drawing on a layer.
    David * GarageCUBE team * Modul8 developer
  • Chase

by Chase » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Anomad and David!

Firstly, let me just say that I was able to find a kind of work around using the Mobile Mouse app for my iPad to draw on the Canvas in the Painter Module. I was pretty pleased with myself for figuring this out! Hahaha! Basically the Mobile Mouse acts like a giant trackpad, and you can use your finger (or stylus) to quickly double tap and then hold and then drag the cursor around the Canvas. There is a little bit of lag since it's using the wifi connection, but it sure beats using a mouse or using the trackpad on my MacBook Pro!!!

Anomad, I would definitely recommend it as the poor man's alternative your Wacom solution (https://vimeo.com/6887692), which is awesome by the way!!! Obviously it doesn't have the awesome touch sensitivity of the Wacom tablet and probably the precision, but if you're on the road like I am, this is a solution that can be achieved in just a few minutes using a wifi connection!

Anomad, I also tried your TouchOSC solution and couldn't get the Painter Module to allow itself to be programed in the MiDi Map (which I assume is what you were suggesting). Either way however, I find the Painter Module quite limited, and I suspect that is because very few people actually use it or have a desire to use it. However, a really robust and elaborate version of the Painter Module is exactly what I'm looking for!

I do have a "Lightning to VGA Adapter" for my iPad (yeah, I'm using an older video projector so no "Lightning Digital AV Adapter" ei: HDMI...), but the problem is that I want to have the iPad as a feed in Modul8 so that I can manipulate it and crossfade, etc. I have been swapping out the VGA cable between the iPad and the Mac, but again, that's not ideal and of course you have the big bright blue screen that pops up and everyone thinks something has gone wrong for 5 seconds while the projector detects for displays...

david wrote:Hi all,

to stream iPad's Sketchbook to Modul8, I will use AirServer which has a Syphon output : http://www.airserverapp.com/

Then I will use Modul8 2.7 Syphon input to put the Sketchbook drawing on a layer.

As for David's solution, does this work in Modul8 2.6.5? I'm a little weary about using the beta version during live performances. Can I bring this feed into the current version of Modul8? When you say "I WILL use..." I'm assuming you mean you haven't actually tested this out yet, correct? Either way, I'm setting it up right now anyway to test it out, and will report back over the next couple of days with either success or failure! AirServer has a free 7 day trial (and a $14.95 purchase price) and it says that it's fully functional, so hopefully this can work for me!

Thanks! :D :D :D
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Chase wrote:Anomad, I also tried your TouchOSC solution and couldn't get the Painter Module to allow itself to be programed in the MiDi Map (which I assume is what you were suggesting). Either way however, I find the Painter Module quite limited, and I suspect that is because very few people actually use it or have a desire to use it. However, a really robust and elaborate version of the Painter Module is exactly what I'm looking for!

. well... i looked in to MIDI as an option to drive the Painter module - from TouchOSC and Ableton Live (and how cool would it be to draw out several of the CC items from an ableton track? :)) - but found the limited resolution of MIDI (0-127) unusable. the pitch bend knob (0-16384) would be an ideal candidate - but you'd need two controllers like that. so, that means working out some of the MIDI spec in the higher ranges (that uses most significant/least significant bytes) - or using two channels of pitch bend

. which leaves using TouchOSC in OSC mode - you should be able to define an area of 720x480 and send the coordinates via OSC. however, you'd have to recreate the OSC module in Painter (or vice versa) - and that seems like an awful lot of work!

. the Painter module (in general) doesn't really do too much for me. however, the underlying routines (creating canvases, primitive drawing elements, etc) are very exciting. in my vimeo channel (and in the public library) - i demoed using the paint routines for a real-time graphic EQ. more recently, i've been recreating Nintendo Entertainment System bitmap data via the paint commands and using modul8 to general real-time graphics (generally scaled tiles from Super Mario Bros w/random color palettes - looks really cool in the transformer! ) so, there's some potential, but you have to dig into coding to get interesting stuff.

. my dream? if the artists+programmers @GarageCube implemented the ability to use Adobe Photoshop Brushes in the Painter module (which are a known standard, and implemented in GIMP) - imagine the creative possibilities !!

-james
    (a nomad. )