layer alpha mask ?
  • eMTv

layer alpha mask ?

by eMTv » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure this issue has been brought up several times, but I can't find a topic which really addresses it here, so here I go :

has anyone worked on a layer-based alpha mask, in order to show only part of the content of one layer under a png file, while other layers underneath are showing in the rest of the screen?

the global mask module discussed here doesn't help...

and when trying to use a simple png file with a black + transparent shape on layer 1 of group A, it will also "hide" all layers underneath it in the group (but not the ones in B group).

isn't there a freeframe that we could use with the filter layer module in order to achieve this ?

thanks in advance for your help and ideas....
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Layers with alpha are like sheets of paper with holes cut into through what you can see what is underneath. You can have a picture on each paper if you like.
    So if I want multiple layers with *holes* in it i make these in AE. I can have one master mask over all layers, but I can not mask the separate layers underneath.
    You have some flexibility using different luma keying methods, but basically this is how I understand it. If I am wrong I would be exited to learn different.