Media Not Supported - Encoding Tips?
  • benher

Media Not Supported - Encoding Tips?

by benher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:17 am

Using: Demo of Modul8 (2.6) Macbook Duocore 4GB Ram OSX10.6

Hello. I am a user in Japan.
    I have been having a lot of difficulty importing media into Modul8. I have tried avi, mov, flv, just about any format imaginable and get the generic "Media Not Supported" error in orange. I searched the docs and forums, but have not found any specifics about how to prepare media.

The docs of Modul8 say something about using QT Pro 7 so I purchased and installed it and used it to convert a few videos, but they still will not import into Modul8.

Is there a standard video format I should be using? A standard codec? Standard conversion software?

Is it because I am using a demo? (but this is not listed as a limited feature on the DL page)

PS - I can import still images with no problem.

I really want to play around with Modul8, but I can't believe I am stuck so early.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

-Tsutomu
  • benher

by benher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 am

Sorry to bother everyone. I think I found a solution.
    I find that if I just 'clip' what I need and copy/paste it into a new MOV file in Quicktime, those clips will import alright.

1. Open QTPro and open a file
    2. Set in point (I Key) out point (O Key)
    3. Cmd-C (copy) Cmd-N (new file) Cmd-V (paste)
    4. Save as new mov
    5. Import into Modul8

Unless there is a more 'orthodox' way I would love to hear from other people's experiences!
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 am

"Export" instead of "save as" gives you more control over the Export settings.
    Valparaiiso
    activ8 member

by Valparaiiso » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:23 am

Did you read the excellent page #18 of the documentation ?
  • benher

by benher » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks for the response.

Will definitely be using the "Export" command in the future VjKg, thanks!

I did read the documentation (p. 18) but was somewhat unsure of the meaning. It says that "Modul8 uses Quicktime to import movies, so Modul8 can read most of the Quicktime codecs." So I wasn't sure if that meant:
    "Modul8 automatically transcodes via quicktime when you first import media." or something like that...?
    I also thought that a MOV file from any video converter would work, but QT is the only one that seems to be giving me results.
    Which for my purposes is just fine at the moment anyway. (Would be curious about Adobe AE in the future though)

Thanks again!
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:53 am

it means - modul8 will acccept any movie file that quicktime can read.
    so, if you can view it with quicktime you can drop it into modul8.

tdog
  • ContentSynchro

Re:

by ContentSynchro » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:30 am

benher wrote:Thanks for the response.

Will definitely be using the "Export" command in the future VjKg, thanks!

I did read the documentation (p. 18) but was somewhat unsure of the meaning. It says that "Modul8 uses Quicktime to import movies, so Modul8 can read most of the Quicktime codecs." So I wasn't sure if that meant:
    "Modul8 automatically transcodes via quicktime when you first import media." or something like that...?
    I also thought that a MOV file from any video converter would work, but QT is the only one that seems to be giving me results.
    Which for my purposes is just fine at the moment anyway. (Would be curious about Adobe AE in the future though)

Thanks again!

Excuse me sir, but it seems that you know about video codec and converson right? i also have a related question and want to know if you know the solution and would you mind my asking here? Yesterday, i find this tutorial about video conversion and it recommended me to download their a converter to convert MP4 format. In this article, as you can see from (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/hd-crack.html) it claims that the video size can be compressed after conversion . But after downloaded the program and converted my MP4 video file to mp3 audio, the size should get much bigger, around 45 percent larger than the original video while the audio output quality stayed the same. Do you have any idea what might cause this weird thing?