Loop replay timer
  • vjjustinallen

Loop replay timer

by vjjustinallen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 am

I have a 4 second movie on a layer and have it set on loop. I would like to add, for example, a 10 second delay from the time the movie stops playing until it starts playing again.

How do I do that?

Thanks all!
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 am

You could no doubt make a module that could do that, but to do it quickly and just as effectively I'd just use Final Cut and add a 10sec slug then render it out as a reference file. Should play fine in Modul8 and not require a re-encode of the original.
  • vjjustinallen

by vjjustinallen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:30 pm

I thought about that approach but decided I didn't like it because it seems like a sloppy way to handle the problem.

I was just hoping that there was an existing way to handle it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 pm

I must comment. Lotech's solution seems like the least sloppy way to handle it IMHO. With this method you guarantee your timing every time. No nudging of the wrong control or relying on the much needed processor and RAM to control your media.
    birdiedaboy

by birdiedaboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 am

totally agree with lotech and VJKg its the best way to do it, add the 10 seconds of black that way as VjKg said you wont use the RAM and it will be much more stable
    Repeat after me: I am free
  • vjjustinallen

by vjjustinallen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Doesn't the issue then become using that clip in other pieces. It's rendered the length that I am looking for in other uses. Adding black to the front or back of it :

A) increases the length of time that black is on the screen, possibility screwing up other items on the screen

B) unnecessary increases CPU usage as there is a portion of a clip on the screen that has no use

C) different uses of that clip would mean different versions, each with different size "handles"

I just I was just surprised that there is a loop option for a clip but no pause option for the loop process...I thought I was just missing it :)

I do agree that if there is no option like that then adding "handles" to either end is the best way to handle that.

I do appreciate all the thoughts :)
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:15 pm

A) By this logic you want a feature the not only pauses but turns layer off so it is not visible and you want it perfectly done each in time.

B) You might be right but I'd rather rely on my 10sec of black or Alpha then trying to remember to turn on the pause/opacity setting that may or may not be setup right for the clip I have now

C) Exactly!