Modul8 Preferences
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

Modul8 Preferences

by madsmeskalin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 am

The last weeks I have been struggling optimizing Modul8´s preferences for my system, but somehow I cant seem to find the settings that make justice to my system. So I was hoping somebody could help me out here.

I´m running a Macbook Pro (2011) 2.3 GHz Quad Core with 8 gb ram, 1gb vram and 2x Vertex2 240GB SSD disks (swapping my optical disc) I usually use between 5 and 10 layers all syncronized to tempo with scratch buttons, auto scale (sound input) a few filters and what not, outputting syphon to Madmapper and Madmapper to a Matrox Triplehead2go DP edition. Resolution of the clips is around 960x540 (2880x540 for triplehead clips), codec ProRes 4444 and the filesize is around 100 - 300mb for 960x540 ones, and 500 - 1gb for Triplehead ones.

How can I set up Modul8´s preferences to make the best out of my system? I tried upping the ram limit, but that seemed only to increase loading times.

Best wishes,
    Mads
    www.madsmeskalin.com - where dreams (notably mine) come true
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

in my opinion you should use another codec or compression i don't thin you need a ProRes 4444, this codec is not suitable to scratch movies and the bitrate is far too high for what you need.

i have the same config as you and i use H264 for none strach videos when clips are over 60" otherwise i use Photojpeg or animation for transparent videos with each frame indexed.
    Apple ProRes is meant to be compressed to the final software needs
    Modul8 is not yet a 64bit compatible but with such Massive laptop config you can cope with it.

try with other codec or compression then tell me
    if you really want to stick to ProRes, then use a 422LT
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

by madsmeskalin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:45 pm

I need to use ProRes because I need support for alpha channels. I tried animation, planar rgb and png, but they all tax my system more than ProRes.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:50 pm

I see, then did you try the DXV Codec? though the video quality is more poor than animation it uses less CPU ressources
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

by madsmeskalin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:01 pm

I heard that the DXV codec is only good for Resolume, that you cant use the hardware acceleration in Modul8. How is the performance with DXV without hardware acceleration. it could be really cool if Modul8 could use that as well, or develop their own VJ codec with alpha channel.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 pm

I haven't tried with large videos and lots of layer with the DXV codec but it seems ok about the decompression process though the quality is poor for transparent videos, and a lots of artifacts occurred (from my first tests).
    anywayn you can download the codec and run some tests.
    madsmeskalin
    activ8 member

Re: Modul8 Preferences

by madsmeskalin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:29 pm

So to revive this thread: whats the best settings for setting up Modul8 with two SSD disks 8gb data. Should I increase the megabytes stored in memory?