Module8 for interactive museum installation
    dizi

Module8 for interactive museum installation

by dizi » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:03 pm

I'm looking for a solid app for use in an interactive video exhibit in a children's museum. I know Module8 works very well when using many small video clips but i'm wondering how well it works with one or a few large videos (up to 1hr long).

The users will be able to scrub thru the video and alter the play speed with a USB or MIDI interface and the app will need to run fairly continuously for several months with very little maintainance on one or more G4 Macs.

Maybe the Quicktime Player can be controlled via MIDI since i'm not looking to use any fancy video effects with this project? Any advice from folks with experience with this sort of thing is much appreciated.
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:23 pm

Have you tried building something using Quartz Composer?
  • jm302
    super8 member

by jm302 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 pm

Greetings,

I've played some longish movies in M8 (not an hour long though... more like 15 mins) and they work well, provided the movie is set load Direct From Disk. Also, it helps if you only play one movie at a time and the movie resides on a seperate, 7200 rpm drive. I have a feeling this is what you'll run into no matter what app you use.

I haven't tried using the Griffin Shuttlemate (I think that's what it's called), but if all you're doing is scrubbing, it should work fine. Download the M8 demo and give it a whirl... that's the only way you'll know for sure if M8 can handle what you need. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Justin
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist" -- Anonymous

http://www.302acid.com