ext. firewirecam and trace fx
  • vandeloow

ext. firewirecam and trace fx

by vandeloow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:36 am

hi,

i really love the trace effect. :shock:

but when i use the livecam, the trace effect is gone. it doesn't work. is this normal?

thanxs!

.martin
  • studioc
    activ8 member

by studioc » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:38 am

I have found that when I reduce the opacity of underlying layers the trace effect is amplified. I would prefer if the trace effect worked at full effect over full opacity layers, but not so far for me. I have not experimented with the firewire camera in and trace, though.
    The Revolution must be televised!
  • jm302
    super8 member

by jm302 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:37 am

studioc wrote:I have found that when I reduce the opacity of underlying layers the trace effect is amplified. I would prefer if the trace effect worked at full effect over full opacity layers, but not so far for me. I have not experimented with the firewire camera in and trace, though.

I kinda figured that by the nature of the trace effect it's necessary to keep a low layer opacity, especially when using multiple layers.

j.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist" -- Anonymous

http://www.302acid.com
    vjfj

by vjfj » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:49 pm

martin i used the trace effect during a live set on the livecam. i had chanels a & b stacked with multiple (all) layers, camera on ch A, and was fading between layers in B while the camera picture was slowly turning 360 horizontally in 100% opacity with the trace effect on, which resulted in the edges of the frame that was turning leaving a nice trail. looked cool and worked perfect.
  • vandeloow

by vandeloow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 pm

vjfj wrote:martin i used the trace effect during a live set on the livecam. i had chanels a & b stacked with multiple (all) layers, camera on ch A, and was fading between layers in B while the camera picture was slowly turning 360 horizontally in 100% opacity with the trace effect on, which resulted in the edges of the frame that was turning leaving a nice trail. looked cool and worked perfect.

hi,

thanks for the information. so the trace effect has no effect on the movie content, right?
    .martin
    vjfj

by vjfj » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:06 pm

vandeloow wrote:hi,

thanks for the information. so the trace effect has no effect on the movie content, right?
    .martin

well it's a "global" effect (in the master section) so whenever it's on, it affects all videos. i can't remember exactly if it afffected the edges only of a clip or the movement WITHIN the clips also. you'd have to try it out. i was using slow action clips so i didn't notice it (within) but i also noticed when i shrunk the clips and used "patch" to make them round had them orbitting around the screen. a nice effect for simulating comets btw :)
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:17 pm

Yes, the trace effect always affects the complete composition. It is not a layer effect. It is achieved at the last compositing stage (when all the layers are rendered).
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:43 am

You can use trace like motion blur, use one layer in your composition and put the transparency of your layer to 50%
    Boris * garageCube team
    Jesper Fryd
    activ8 member

by Jesper Fryd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:44 pm

don't forget to download the module that automates trail-up/alpha-down.
    i use it all the time instead of just trail.