2.5 firewire video quality?
    chromafresh
    super8 member

2.5 firewire video quality?

by chromafresh » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:35 pm

I was wondering if Yves or Boris could comment on if we can expect any improvements in the quality of video coming in through firewire in 2.5. As it is now, is the video downgraded automatically somehow according to machine spec, or is the quality of the DV signal on my powerbook the same as I'd get on a G5? Of course then how everything else slows down when using video would probably less of a problem on a faster machine...

I had someone ask me recently if I could think of any reason why when they ran a DVD player out via RCA cable into an A/D converter and into Modul8 via firewire, why the signal had more random blocky noise, wheras firewire direct from a video camera did not. I'd noticed this too, but hadn't really given it much thought as it doesn't really affect our play style since we like it sort of grotty anyway. I told this guy I'd try to ask if anyone knew anything about this so here we are.

So yeah I guess I'm curious if you might know a reason for the the blockiness or if this may improve with the release of 2.5.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:23 am

Well, DV and Video capture improvement (quality) is planned for the 2.5 :)

About your DVD, Mmmm...
    MPEG2 TO ANALOG --> ANALOG TO DV ... thats not the best ;-)

+ +
    Boris * garageCube team
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:56 pm

Yes well I know its not the best, but running it through firewire the quality is pretty low anyway even for straight DV camera > modul8 via firewire. In addition the "blocky noise" is something different from MP2 noise. It looks random as if the firewire connection is loose or something or almost like dirty DVC heads... shit, maybe the connection IS loose! Anyway, looking forward to performace improvements in 2.5!!
  • image master blink

by image master blink » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:39 pm

in my thinking if you have a tower that has a video capture card should improve performance......if you have a pretty good card....not cheap solution.
    i would love to try this just can't afford to right now.it would be more affective to use mod with out mixer.