Changing MIDI channels for mapping?
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

Changing MIDI channels for mapping?

by Akira » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:05 pm

Hello, just bought modul8, after using it for a month or so in demo form, what a great program it is! ;)

Now I'm having a problem with the MIDI mapping. Seems to me like modul8 is stuck in OMNI mode?

My setup consists of an Edirol PCR-30 interfacing my iBook G3 with a Korg Electribe EA-1. I have completed mapping my computer keyboard and MIDI to my liking. The problem lies with the Electribe. It's sending MIDI data on two channels, and modul8 takes all that is sent to it from these two channels. I use one of the parts for audio and the other one for video, so it's messign it all up. I can't filter that within the machine or make one of the parts not send any MIDI.

Would there be any way to be able to select which MIDI channel the program will react to? Is there something I'm missing that makes this possible already? I was thinking that if there isn't, modul8 recognizing the channel where the command is coming from and assigning it *exclusively* to that channel, would be good. So while editing the MIDI map, if I press a note in my keyboard on channel 1, modul8 would program itself to take that note on channel 1 as the input, and not the same note on any other channel.

Would be great to have help on this, specially since I would love to use modul8 in an A/V venue I have the 28th and this feature is of extreme importance!

Cheers,
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Hi,
    Each modul8 control accepts only one MIDI info.
    When you set up your MIDI map, and you send several MIDI information modul8 will only consider the last one you sent.
    Modul8 accepts all channels, each time you enter a MIDI map it will memorize the channel as well as the note.

It there just small an error in the indication of modul8 and the channel is shifted of 1 (We will fix it in a new version).
    e.g. 1/5 = channel2/note 5
    e.g. 2/3 = channel3/note 3
    Now if you dont use the channel 0 (all) and channel 16 in your MIDI map, it goes well.

If you only want channel 2 in modul8 you should only send MIDI notes in channel 2 when you set up your MIDI map.
    This is quite useful when you have several MIDI controls as you can differenciate them by asigning each a channel.
    I don't think this will change in subsequent versions unless you could share with us how this could/should be done. :wink:
    Don't forget that most MIDI controls can also be configured.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the notation, I didn't know it goes from 0 to 15 instead of 1 to 16, therefore I thought 0 was Omni.

I think the Electribe is to blame here. It even sends out CC on every note (I can filter it though), I think because of the way the sequencer works, and I can't get any of the knobs to be recognized, because they shift values or do some other sort of strange crap.

Thanks!
  • garageRoot
    garageCube team

by garageRoot » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi,
    Send us extracts from your MIDI data which the Electribe generates so we can take a look at it.

GarageCUBE *team*
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:35 am

Hey!

Will do so, I'll make a backup of the memory.

Or you need a live dump of data while I am operating the electribe? How would I do that?

Cheers!