Alpha previewing
  • skyvat
    activ8 member

Alpha previewing

by skyvat » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:06 am

I am running into an issue when using black objects with alpha channels. Problem is that you cannot actually see the image when you go to a layer preview, because it is shown black on black background. Is there a better way to work with this, bacause when using multiple layers I end up positioning things blind or by having to look at entire composition.

Thanks - continue to love the program - runs well even on my tibook 550 with 16MB video card.

Best,

Dan
  • garageRoot
    garageCube team

by garageRoot » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:58 pm

Sorry but there is no real solution to your problem for the time being. The only thing you could try is to change the background colour which is not to bad if you're using a background image. :shock:

Meanwhile i would recommend using white images instead of black ones, as this enables you to switch them to black later on with the colour modulate as well as giving you the luxury of choosing any colour.
    Colour modulate is very fast and does not use your CPU.

GarageCUBE*team*
  • skyvat
    activ8 member

by skyvat » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:07 am

Yeah the solutions won't really work for me. - I use the alpha images layered over another image acting as a background- so background color change will not help. Plus I must use black in this composition, though I see your point about white enabling to add/change/remove color as desired.

Seems like you should be able to preview alpha similar to the way you can in photoshop (light shade of red indicates matte), or be able to select an either white or black background when previewing layers with alpha. Hoping you can find a better solution in later versions.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:17 am

Yes, but if you put a black image (just one small square scaled) on the last layer (just after the background color) the backgound color will be not visible into the finale render (black background) but it will be visible at the "preview" layer, right ?

Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • skyvat
    activ8 member

by skyvat » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:36 am

Hahaha

I have the auto-color on with the alpha channel going when I use this patch - so actually the BG color is visible when the transparency goes of.

Suppose I could just make a big black GIF and but it under that and the change the BG color.

Thanks for the ideas.