locking up searching for movie files
  • nwmarco

locking up searching for movie files

by nwmarco » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:12 am

Had a couple of lock ups @ an even this weekend.

Scenario: I store all my media on an external HD, there are several 'compilation' movies that reference a number of smaller clips. QuickTime (v7.04) loses the path to some of the compilation movies and puts up a dialog "can't find data YYY in movie XXX - search or cancel" in a normal QT player document the buttons work, but when M8 was playing, neither button worked - there was no way out of the dialog box and I had to force quit.

Ouch. Of course I was an hour plus into a custom live set and hadn't saved yet so I lost all my work. Lucky for me I had a DVD handy to cover. But silly of me to work w/out saving.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Cheers,
    Marco
    Cheers,
    Marco
  • vj123
    activ8 member

by vj123 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:47 am

i have the same problem.
    wasn't sure how to reproduce the problem but yesterday i checked my stored settings like your 'compilation' settings with a lot of special settings of the transformer etc.
    about 10 - 20 % of my settings does NOT work and i have to quit modul8 like you said :-(
    unfortunately i cannot reproduce my stored settings because i don't remeber which movie files was stored inside :-(
  • nwmarco

fullscreen mode?

by nwmarco » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:19 am

So now that I think about it, the QT 'Search or Cancel' may not have worked due to the fact that I was in full screen mode...

I will try this and see if that was the problem.

cheers,
    Marco
    Cheers,
    Marco
  • nwmarco

Still having this problem

by nwmarco » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:39 am

I found out you can't exit from full screen mode when the QT 'Searching for movie files' dialog is up. Lucky for me this time, I had the file saved and had a DVD ready to go to cover up for the fact that I had to force quit Modul8.

any suggestions on what to do or how to get around this? I still run into movies that aren't completely playable - they are compilations of smaller movies and QT 'forgets' where all the original files are.

or even better, anyone know how to fix these files?

Thanks,
    Marco
    cal6n
    activ8 member

by cal6n » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:06 am

Hey Marco

This probably won't help you with your current problem but, for the future, you're probably better off saving your compilations as self-contained files. It may cost more as far as disk space is concerned, but I find it's better to keep things simple for quicktime.

Cheers

Calvin