midi-feedback
  • montage sauvage

midi-feedback

by montage sauvage » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:31 pm

hi,
    i use the behringer b-control rotary bcr2000 as a midi device. but i have one problem: modul8 doesn't send the data back to the gadget. so if i turn the keys in modul8 and after that i turn the keys at the behringer, there is always a discrepancy between the two values and the displayed video jumps (for instance: scale-button).
    does anyone of you know a solution?
    thanks in advance.
    best regards from austria
    julian
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:08 pm

As your post indicates, the real answer to this is MIDI feedback. Currently, AFAIK there is no solution to this problem.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:48 am

The midi feedback is on the next release (2.5) of Modul8 through the module system.
    Boris * garageCube team
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:35 am

You guys are so fricking incredible it is unbelievable!!!!
    DJ G Mint

• singer

by singer » Mon May 01, 2006 10:45 pm

hi,

I have a similar question. I just got one of the Behringers yesterday and I noticed it has the ability to send out data in "relative" mode rather that "absolute." From what I understood this signal would avoid such jumps because it would be an increase or decrease relative to what the current setting is, instead of a fixed 0-127 value(?)

Modul8 didn't seem to handle the signal well in this mode, it would not work at all most of the time. Is there something I'm doing wrong or does modul8 not support this midi mode?

Thanks.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue May 02, 2006 12:37 am

singer wrote:hi,

I have a similar question. I just got one of the Behringers yesterday and I noticed it has the ability to send out data in "relative" mode rather that "absolute." From what I understood this signal would avoid such jumps because it would be an increase or decrease relative to what the current setting is, instead of a fixed 0-127 value(?)

Modul8 didn't seem to handle the signal well in this mode, it would not work at all most of the time. Is there something I'm doing wrong or does modul8 not support this midi mode?

Thanks.

I can see why you would expect that behavior, but in reality that's not what relative mode is really for. For one thing, if you think about it, even in relative mode, the BCR's light ring indicators wouldn't correct (which would be distracting). Relative mode is really for controls which don't really have a discrete end. For example, relative mode would be well suited for rotating an image. Since the image can just be rotated around and around without an end point, a relative knob would allow you to continue rotating it to your heart's content without having you hit an end point. Get the picture?

In any case, MIDI feedback will be here soon so we'll have the ultimate answer!
    DJ G Mint

• singer

by singer » Tue May 02, 2006 7:44 am

aha well that makes sense. Although I tried it with parameters you've mentioned (like rotation) and it still didn't work as expected.
    Regardless, you're right, with midi feedback it will be irrelevant! (hopefully) 8)
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue May 02, 2006 3:51 pm

singer wrote:aha well that makes sense. Although I tried it with parameters you've mentioned (like rotation) and it still didn't work as expected.
    Regardless, you're right, with midi feedback it will be irrelevant! (hopefully) 8)

You're right, I didn't actually mean that it would work on things like rotation, only that these types of features would be a natural place for this type of thing...
    DJ G Mint

boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Thu May 11, 2006 5:12 am

Midi "relative" work well through the module system.
    Here is an exemple for change the z rotation of the current layer, with the relative data on my faderfox midi controler.
    in the "DirectEvent" (Script editor)
    If you know Python it's easy to change the channel,param2(midi note), and message for your BCF.

I put the module on the public library : 'MIDI_RELATIVE_EXEMPLE'

Boris.

Code: Select all

if type == 'MIDI' :

#encoder rot
             if param['channel'] == 15 and param['param2'] == 127 and param['message'] == 'NOTE_ON' :

if param['param1'] == 33 :      
             valuePrev = modul8.getValue('ctrl_layer_rotation_z', 0) + .02
             if valuePrev > 1.0 :
                valuePrev = 0.0

modul8.setValue('ctrl_layer_rotation_z', valuePrev,0)

if param['param1'] == 34 :      
             valuePrev = modul8.getValue('ctrl_layer_rotation_z', 0) - .02
             if valuePrev < 0.0 :
                valuePrev = 1.0

Boris * garageCube team
  • CalebAWilson

by CalebAWilson » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:54 pm

I was looking through the Modules and cannot find the specific module that allows for MIDI feedback. Also if the BCR2000 is in absolute mode and receiving MIDI feedback then the LED rings would update when a different layer is selected I am to understand.
  • singer

by singer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:34 am

as far as I can tell this was never really addressed except for a beta of a module for the BCF model. There might be more out there though. I was lucky, I happen to use the BCF and it works pretty well.
    I think that other than that, it's up to your python knowledge. It is possible though! You might be able to cannibalize the BCF module a bit to get it working with the BCR.
    p8guitar

by p8guitar » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:16 pm

boris wrote:Midi "relative" work well through the module system.
    Here is an exemple for change the z rotation of the current layer, with the relative data on my faderfox midi controler.
    in the "DirectEvent" (Script editor)
    If you know Python it's easy to change the channel,param2(midi note), and message for your BCF.

I put the module on the public library : 'MIDI_RELATIVE_EXEMPLE'

Boris.

Code: Select all

if type == 'MIDI' :

#encoder rot
             if param['channel'] == 15 and param['param2'] == 127 and param['message'] == 'NOTE_ON' :

if param['param1'] == 33 :      
             valuePrev = modul8.getValue('ctrl_layer_rotation_z', 0) + .02
             if valuePrev > 1.0 :
                valuePrev = 0.0

if param['param1'] == 34 :      
             valuePrev = modul8.getValue('ctrl_layer_rotation_z', 0) - .02
             if valuePrev < 0.0 :
                valuePrev = 1.0

:shock: ok...

call me lazy, but I neither have the time nor the desire to learn program languages. From my point of view it would be more efficient if one person (from modul8) invested some time so that modul8 would recognize relative CC commands instead of all modulate users becoming python programmers.

Maybe I'm spoiled by my audio software... :oops: