MIDI Settiings lost
    tdog
    super8 member

MIDI Settiings lost

by tdog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:02 pm

HI,

spent a long night programming midi controls for m8; got to gig, switched on, NO MIDI..... ALL lost..

Help......

Process - open 'edit midi map' - assign controller to, say, scale - exit 'edit midi map'; click 'save project' ; shut down m8.
    Re-open project, midi assignments gone.....

m8 2.6.4
    macbook pro 2.26 ghz
    8Gb ram

OS X 10.6.8

thanks,
    keith
    By any means necessary....
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: MIDI Settiings lost

by vanakaru » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:15 pm

I have been there as well. M8 MIDI is confusing and not too well designed. Why they have not made it better after all this talk about it is beyond me.
    Only really good improvement in MIDI is ability to export your midi map and import it when you need it again. It works most of the time but not 100%. Specially if you have done something with MIDI with your computer. Like used different controller. At this helps to choose right midi device in M8 pref.
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:21 pm

vanakaru wrote:I have been there as well. M8 MIDI is confusing and not too well designed. Why they have not made it better after all this talk about it is beyond me.
    Only really good improvement in MIDI is ability to export your midi map and import it when you need it again. It works most of the time but not 100%. Specially if you have done something with MIDI with your computer. Like used different controller. At this helps to choose right midi device in M8 pref.

yeah, for all the wonderfulness, the midi is a bit flakey..... in the midi preferences i see two instances of my controller, one is on port one, the other, port two; is this proper?

k.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 am

Yeah I also lost all my midi settings recently. I wholeheartedly agree that the midi implementation is flakey - or becoming flakey as it doesn't do what we need and so are forced to patch it together.

It would help if Modul8 would support 2way midi without needing Udarts module in the first place - I'm forced have 2 midi maps for the same TouchOSC controls - one for the main UI which can send return midi and a second for any midi mapping set to modules. Saving a midi map preset file seems to only remember my modules mappings (which makes sense as they're set via Modul8's midi map) whilst Udarts are saved into 'default' or to a specific project setup. Theres needs to be one map for all midi commands - and it should support returns. Simple.

So let me poke the hornet's nest - can I haz new Modul8 version please.... One with some requested improvements (like this).
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:26 am

lotech wrote:Yeah I also lost all my midi settings recently. I wholeheartedly agree that the midi implementation is flakey - or becoming flakey as it doesn't do what we need and so are forced to patch it together.

It would help if Modul8 would support 2way midi without needing Udarts module in the first place - I'm forced have 2 midi maps for the same TouchOSC controls - one for the main UI which can send return midi and a second for any midi mapping set to modules. Saving a midi map preset file seems to only remember my modules mappings (which makes sense as they're set via Modul8's midi map) whilst Udarts are saved into 'default' or to a specific project setup. Theres needs to be one map for all midi commands - and it should support returns. Simple.

So let me poke the hornet's nest - can I haz new Modul8 version please.... One with some requested improvements (like this).

ok,
    to be fair to M8, i seem to have sorted the midi issue; i'll see how it goes after a few more days....

keith