sound issues ableton/modul8
  • mowgli_uk
    master

sound issues ableton/modul8

by mowgli_uk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm trying to run ableton and modul8 simultaneously on a macbook pro 2.66 ghz intel core i7 with 8gb ram which I've done previously with no problems. The problem started when I tried mixing video clips with audio with the audio from ableton. Whenever I try to do this the volume from modul8 fluctuates up and down rapidly in a random manner. Stopping ableton instantly resolves the problem. I've tried using soundflower to route the audio from md8 back into ableton and outputting to a conectiv soundcard with the same results. Any reason why this should happen? Am I missing something?
  • mowgli_uk
    master

Re: sound issues ableton/modul8

by mowgli_uk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I've isolated the issue. I've stopped all modules but it persisted.
    Basically I have a midi track in ableton sending a load of envelopes to modul8, if i stop it the volume remains stable. I've checked my midi maps to see if something was messing with the sound knob in modul8 but there was no midi assignment there. In any case although there is no midi asigned to it, this seems to be the problem. MIDI CC25 and 24 for some reason affect modul8's volume. This is not reflected on the position of the volume knob, but it becomes apparent if you stop the midi clip, as the volume fluctuation in modul8 stops but the audible level remains at the point where the clip was stopped. Touching the sound knob in modul8 instantly makes the volume jump to wherever the knob was indicating. If I use a different MIDI map in modul8 the audio works normally. I have a feeling that the issue is a "leftover" midi asignment from a previous mapping, but I can't see it on the modul8 interface so I can't delete it, I've tried selecting the knob although no number was on it and pressed delete a few times to no avail, including the obvious restarting etc. Is there a file I could edit somewhere or at least check for this? Redoing the whole midi map from scratch is not an option!
    The Midi Thief
    master

Re: sound issues ableton/modul8

by The Midi Thief » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I had weird things going on with my volume knob in M8 when using Soundflower. So I think Soundflower might be the culprit in this case. I switched to the commercial and more stable Wiretap Anywhere after recommendations by Mr. Lupin.