11 full-hd videoprojector installation technical information
  • uranusweg

11 full-hd videoprojector installation technical information

by uranusweg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi everyone,
    I have a question about an installation that we are preparing and I would like to understand if we can manage also real time creativity on that with modul8.
    It's an horizontal installation made with 11 videoprojectors connected with a dataton watchout system. So we'll have 11 full hd out put to connect in a mac pro machine to use it all toghether than use modul8.

1. is it possible to prepare super mac pro (we have enough budget) Due Intel Xeon 6-core "Westmere" 2,66 GHz - 48 gb ram + nvidia quadro graphic cards - do you thing that can work?
    2.I ask to a shop tecnical support, they told us you can put maximum 9 cards on a mac pro.. so I don't know if it works and how to make it for 11 videoprojectors.
    Any idea how to prepare the machine that can support 11 full hd output on mac to use modul 8?

thank you

T
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

Re: 11 full-hd videoprojector installation technical informa

by pele2010 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi there,

do you mean 11 HD 1920x1080 px Videostreams in realtime with effects and interaction ?

Or are you going to take a HD Video (Graphics) and split this to 11 Projectors ?

What Projectors are you talking about ? 10T Ansi 20T Ansi
    How far is the Observer away from the Projection? If you need 11 Beamer it may be tall.
    And then the Observer/Crowd must be at least 50 to 150 Meters away from the Building.

It's an horizontal installation made with 11 videoprojectors connected with a dataton watchout system. So we'll have 11 full hd out put to connect in a mac pro machine to use it all toghether than use modul8

Usually Watchout is last before the projection.
    At least that´s the way we used it in production. Then Modul8 is just an input for watchout.

And the Watchout system has 11 outputs yet ?

I´m just asking because i don´t get the setup , but maybe it´s just me.

pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
  • uranusweg

by uranusweg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi,
    we already have 11 separate videoprojectors full hd 1920x1080 (i'll tell you as soon as I know the model and lumen). we are already using them connected with watchout. They work now with server and broadecast pre-render movies. we would like to use this for real time performances, so I want to use modul8 for this. I need a mac of course.
    my question is,

which is the set up of the mac machine we have to create (to configure and buy) to work with modul8 in realtime (in full HD resolution) on 11 HD projectors? (file stage nearly 16000 x 1080)
    (no triple head matrox - I already have, we want output in full HD)

I hope you understand

thank you

T
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

At least the manual says that there´s 8 outputs for modul8 .

I did a test with a quicktime this size (16000x1080) .
    And my Macbook could handle that .
    So if you take a New 12 core with a ssd raid it should be fast enough, yet it doesn´t solve the problem
    with your 11 Outputs.
    As long as you would send your interactive video to all of the 11 projectors.

I don´t know. I think you need somebody that has done this already to figure out what you need.
    And maybe something like a technical drawing ?

have you contacted the garagecube team ?

it´s : support (at) garagecube (dot) com

i hope this helps you

pele2010
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    www.eachfilm.de
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 am

just use watchout.
    Dataton tell us it is perfect for VJing.
    but when I asked them to provide one example of any person in the world who used it that way, they banned me from their forum.

meanwhile, back in the real world, you are just asking for trouble with this massively over ambitious project as you are ignoring the screen blends.
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 pm

hi deepvisual,

beside making a joke and being upset about dataton form policy, any suggestion?

if i look to project descriptions on this forum, i think that it lakes of information.

And without the information everything is possible.

And nothing.

pele2010
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    www.eachfilm.de
  • uranusweg

by uranusweg » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

thank you pele,

I contact directly apple support for this special project and I'm waiting to talk with them againg in the afternoon.
    the istallation is already working. It'is already assembled and blended with watchout. 11 videoprojectors panasonic DLP 10.000 ansi lumen. I'll let you know how things will go.
    thank you for your suggestion

T
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:26 pm

I'll say it again
    you are ignoring the screen blends.

so you either have to redo them in M8, which is not going to me easy, believe me, or pump everything into watchout, which means genlocked capture cards in each machine.
  • josharoo4

by josharoo4 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Ive done a set up where we had Isadora outputing to one display and then we have captured that one display into Watchout as a live input so that we could have live interaction in Watchout similar to what you are trying to do but on a greatly reduced scale. They way Watchout handles live input is to use a capture card on EACH display computer. For instance, if you are trying to input one giant Live input (in this case, a 16000 x 1080 output from Modul8), you would need to be feeding that signal to EACH of the display computers and capturing it via an input card on EACH display computer.

IN THEORY...
    I think you could do an output of 16000x1080 (I dont know if that is even possible but pele2010 seemed to have some success) from modul8 into a distribution amp (1 input to 12 output) and then send that same signal to ALL of the display computers. Watchout would handle taking the correct portion of the output based on which display you were inputing to.

Problems will likely come from the fact that 16000 x1080 is HUGE and will likely crash Watchout Live input (though maybe not. Its certainly much bigger than anything I have tried) and might not be possible for the capture cards.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 am

Modul8 will output any resolution that is inputed into it. You can then feed Modul8 through Syphon to either madmapper or another syphon comp software.
    Your issue will be with your output from the mac to a full resolution of what you need.
    You will only be able to output to the resolution of what your video card will allow. Even with 11 video cards, they will each send a separate resolution. It will not be 'A grouped screen resolution" You will have 11 of the same image.
    With a tripleHead you can achieve a resolution of over 4k wide and height.
    I have had a gig with a composition of over 6k px wide. I attempted the "dirty trick" with running 2 madmapper apps simultaneously to merge one full hd picture of 6K. It worked but then you have to trigger two machines to make one image......it is a trigger from midi, no video sync. A couple of frames off will be quite noticeable.
    Good Luck, hope this gives you a heads up.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:06 am

Btw, I ended up using a Coolux System for the 6k event. I missed Modul8 very much that day.
  • willzz32

by willzz32 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 am

We recently did a gig with M8 using five projectors running total of 9600 x 1080 each output was 1920 x 1080 using internal cards on the mac.
    M8 worked great for this and videos were played at 6400 x 1080. I know its not 11 projectors but I'm sure if you had 4 cards you could do 7 outputs from one machine and 5 from another.Ive found that if you trigger via midi and don't use the network module the video stays in sync between the two machine very well.
    M8 allows the multi output set up to define the area each output will see so multiscreen is easy.
    If you also need to blend then i would suggest blending on the projectors. Projector blending on something like the panasonic 10khd's is amazing.We don't bother with software blending any more we just use these.

Hope this helps.
  • cogitator

by cogitator » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

How did you manage to sync the video?
    I'm currently trying to write a plugin, that gets a MTC(Midi Timecode) from Qlab and converts the Value of the timecode in direct_layer_media_timePosition.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:53 pm

why dont you just pipe qlab in via syphon?
  • stephaniestep456

by stephaniestep456 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 am

I had the same technical issue here at my place. Well I think these answers will definitely help me with the installation process. Thank you for starting this thread here. It has helped me at my worst time. And thank you once again. stopsnoringpro.com