Getting multiple video feeds into Modul8
  • viberation

Getting multiple video feeds into Modul8

by viberation » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Apologies for this seemingly simple question, I went through the documentation and forums and did not find a clear answer.

Can anyone verify that the below should work?

Goal: want to get 2 video feeds into Modul8 for mixing

Solution: 2 DVD players, 2 Analog->Digital converters (probably Canopus ADV110's), Firewire 400 (DV) out of A->D converters into Firewire hub (probably a Kramer), Then Firewire into Macbookpro

Then I should be able to select from both video feeds when compositing onto layers. Does this sound right? If so, am I limited to 1 DV stream at a time, or can I actually mix between both video feeds in modul8?

By the way, I'm using the a brand new (2012) core i7 Macbook Pro.

Many thanks in advance :-)
  • viberation

Re: Getting multiple video feeds into Modul8

by viberation » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 pm

I think I found some answers:

Modul8 v2.5.8+ Video Capture Compatibilty List
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951&hilit=usb+capture

4 Live Video Input...
    viewtopic.php?p=15598

So with the info there, it seems that No, you cannot have more than one feed using Firewire(DV).

But, one firewire and one USB feed input should work.

So, then it sounds like I need a USB capture converter. I'll do some more research, any suggestions appreciated.
  • viberation

by viberation » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Okay, so picked up a Easy Cap dc60+ off ebay for $11, looks like I'll need to download and purchase the videoglide software separately ($29).

This solution is so freakin cheap, it certainly won't hurt to try. I was figuring I'd be spending a whole lot more.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 pm

viberation wrote:Okay, so picked up a Easy Cap dc60+ off ebay for $11, looks like I'll need to download and purchase the videoglide software separately ($29).

This solution is so freakin cheap, it certainly won't hurt to try. I was figuring I'd be spending a whole lot more.

I use it still and it works great still.
  • viberation

by viberation » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Okay, got the DC60+ working, was able to use it for a live show. It was utter garbage. Image quality was terrible and using it slowed down Modul8 considerably (I'm on a late 2011 MBP, core i7, 16GB RAM), I did mess around with the settings quite a bit, bandwidth, compression codecs. I could not achieve anything reasonably acceptable.

I'll need to rethink this whole thing. I think I could live with just 1 video input (coming in from a V-4 probably). Has anyone been able to achieve a quality input feed into modul8? It seems DV (even with the latency) gives the best video input, but it's still barely acceptable. I'm currently using a Canon DV cam as my A>D converter, totally willing to spend the money on a new A>D converter (Canopus or whatever) to get the highest quality video input possible.

I'll keep searching this forum, but anyone have any suggestions??
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:07 pm

For about 300EUR you can get Matrox MXO2 mini that works wonders(almost no latency) with M8. Blackmagic Intensity Pro with thunderbolt should be great too(I do not have tried it).
    With my MBP early 2009 (last classic body) works very well with Easycap DC60+ and Videoglide drivers. I get good quality 720x576 compression=none stream to M8 without much slowdown. It use about 80% (of 200%) CPU with the capture versus 20% without and with 1 clip+(alpha) over live capture 140% v. 90%.
  • viberation

by viberation » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks vanakaru,

I suppose I can give my Easycap another run, I think I tried compression = none, but maybe not, perhaps that was the issue. I did notice some Quicktime conflicts to my After Effects install after installing VideoGlide so I'm a little apprehensive (unsupported drivers with AE?), But I'll try again.

Matrox MXO2 mini: I must be missing something obvious because the only digital output I see is HDMI, how are you getting HDMI into your MBP?

BlackMagic Instensity Shuttle (Not Pro, that's a card) - I looked at that too, looks appealing since I have Thunderbolt, but since I would be using this live with Modul8, I would need 2 thunderbolt ports in order to daisy chain my final output, BlackMagic has one. Anyone have a thought how this could be be done?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Matrox MXO2 mini: I must be missing something obvious because the only digital output I see is HDMI, how are you getting HDMI into your MBP?

MXO2 has digital interface communicating with your computer via PCIe card or ExpressCard(laptop) in my case. There are other flavors like thunderbolt of this card as much I remember. So you can use HDMI IN for second computer input(DVI/VGA to HDMY adapter) TV formats though and HDMI OUT to additional monitor.
    I did notice some Quicktime conflicts to my After Effects install after installing VideoGlide so I'm a little apprehensive (unsupported drivers with AE?

I do not see what AE has to do in this. You do not capture live into AE, do you?
    I would need 2 thunderbolt ports in order to daisy chain my final output

I thought we are talking about live video stream INto M8 here. Or you are using thunderbolt port for going to projector?