OpenGL / OpenCL / CUDA / 64 bit / performance
  • philmz

OpenGL / OpenCL / CUDA / 64 bit / performance

by philmz » Mon May 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Hello,

I use Modul8 since 4 years now and I still find it a wonderful piece of software but I have some questions about performance and video processing. I have worked with Conduit Live, it is a complete different approach (you have to built yourself everything from scratch with nodes) but performance in LIVE video processing are way beyond what you can expect from Modul8. As I say, I will continue to use Modul8 because it is generally a lot more adapted to my project (complex dance and theatre show), but I dream of better performance.

So let's go !

A- In a config with 4 video cards, which one will be used to do the opengl processing ? The one used for the software interface (and so, the system menu bar) ? Or every card used to output videos ?

My config :
    MacPro 3,33 Ghz x6 / 24 Go RAM / SSD system 256 Go / 3 * 2 To 7200 RPM RAID 0 (Stock) / SSD Video Live Project 256 Go
    Slot 0 : Nvidia GTX 580 3GB (thanks NVidia and Netkas)
    Slot 1 : NVidia GT 120 512 MB
    Slot 2 : Nvidia GT 120 512 MB
    Slot 2 : Nvidia GT 120 512 MB

B - Could you give more detail of your video engine to better tune my system (I guess it is based on OpenGL) as I haven't found much details on the forum ( except JPEG 75%...).

C - Do you plan to make a 64 bit version of the software / Will it change anything about memory management and limit ?

E - Do you plan to use tech like OpenCL or CUDA to accelerate video treatment ? Is it interesting ?

F - a real life example : in a complex project with all 8 sets used for different compositions (5 to 10 layers each), when I play set 1, then 2.... arriving to set 8, videos are sluggish. If I play directly set 8 (only after a fresh restart, restarting only Modul8 doesn't change anything), videos play perfectly smoothly. I don't think it is a RAM problem as I have tried with and without video RAM catching. It seems to be related to RAM or whatever on the video card. It is very annoying. Any idea of what it could be ?

Thank a lot,

Philippe.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

Re: OpenGL / OpenCL / CUDA / 64 bit / performance

by cvanhoose » Tue May 29, 2012 7:47 pm

There are mentions about 64bit in other threads on this Forum. search. No plans for it. The team won't tell you much about the future of this software, which is a horrible way of wanting to keep customers. Maybe there are no plans for the future and they will not tell us because they are afraid we will all ditch it. This is just speculation of evidence gathered over the past 5-6 years from what the development team has shown us with its updates. we are @ version 2.6:(

For your sluggish issue - In the MediaSet Panel there is an "i". Click it and it will give you options for preload, ram, from disk, etc. Choose settings for each individual clip. Hope that helps. Let me know.
  • philmz

Re: OpenGL / OpenCL / CUDA / 64 bit / performance

by philmz » Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks Cvanhoose for your reply. I have already tried many settings with preload, ram, direct to disk... without any success. I know pretty well Modul8, so I think I've already tried almost everything that can be possible with settings INSIDE Modul8. Not to mention that I read manuals.

That's why I ask these questions about the video engine, and opengl (64 bit, OpenCL and Cuda are "future insight"). But in resent time, I would love to know the answers of my questions A and B !!

I've read a lot of threads on the forum, I understand that there is a lot of frustration (little technical details, little software evolution...) but at this price, I think Modul8 is still the best software for what I do.

I will be very pleased to read sometimes very technical and very precise answers by Modul8 staff.

Any help for question A? (I can give up the other ones....)