Using "Capture to Disk" as an input layer
  • dmelladom

Using "Capture to Disk" as an input layer

by dmelladom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Hello everybody,
    First of all thanks for your interest.

I am very interested in having the "Capture to Disk" output video as a input layer, allowing a couple of minutes of output before using it as an input.
    This has been impossible using a Animation encode format. I assume this is becouse the header information is not set until the file is ended or closed.
    I tried using jpeg sequence but the resoult wasn't good either. When I try "Apple None" the program just crashes,
    Does somebody have a hint? I was thinking of making a container with some metadata just to complete the header, but it seems I am not doing it in the correct way.

Another option would be streaming the output but none of my programs (VLC for example) can open the file until the render is stopped. Maybe a permission issue?

Thanks a lot,
    Diego
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Using "Capture to Disk" as an input layer

by vanakaru » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 pm

What you experience is normal and no permission issues involved. It is just not possible the way you think it is. There are work arounds specially with new multi display port MBPs and capture cards.
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 pm

I've seen people talking about this on here but I don't think it's possible the way you're going about it. However, like vanakaru says i think there might be some work arounds.

I don't know if this will work but it might be worth trying out:
    http://themidithief.com/2012/06/the-wat ... er-module/

The Midi Thief says "I have made a Modul8 module that will automatically load newly added files from a specified folder into the media set." So I guess you might potentially be able to record from modul8 into a specific folder and then have this modul8 watch the folder and load the clip automatically. I haven't tested this theory but it could be just what you need.
  • dmelladom

by dmelladom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Dear vanakaru and orion,
    First of all, thanks a lot for your answers. I really appreciate them.
    I agree with you that I should look for a workaround. About automatic loading new added files, I am afraid it won't work for the same reason: the files may not be complete.
    Anyway, I am going to try what you have suggested and let you know what happend!

Once again, thanks a lot for your answers.

Best,
    Diego
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 am

Diego, the idea is to use live output(DVI, VGA, HDMI) of your mac for live capture via capture card like Matrox MX02, Blackmagic Intensity or cheaper s-video and composite cards like USB dongles or firewire capture devises. So you need an extra live out for this addition to the one to projector. With new MBP you have multiple outputs available and power to accomplish this recapture.
  • dmelladom

by dmelladom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Dear vanakaru,
    Thanks a lot for the step-by-setp. I am afraid I would need quite a powerfull computer for that set!!!
    I think I could try if. If I can, I will let you know how was it. The event is next friday! (not tomorrow)

Best,
    Diego
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I have done this with two MBP's early 2008 and MXO2. Works quit good, but not fantastic.
    If Modul8 would support Syphon better (not only one output either or and no input) then all this could be handled in one machine.
    I have not tested this but Resolume, CoGe, Isadora that support Syphon better would let you do this already. however I have not investigated this matter with Syphon so do not take my word on this.
  • dmelladom

by dmelladom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 am

Dear vanakaru,

I did try what you suggested and it kind of worked. I say kind because your solution was pretty good (it did what it had to do) but it does not solve my problem ;)
    The issue is that I have infinite copies of the output, each one smaller, going into the output.
    It could work if I had a buffer (like 5 minutes or something like that) to delay the output but I can't find the way :(
    I will think for some alternative, but suggestions would be really appreciated :)

Just to clarify things: I am using Modul8 to stack layers and layers of videos in real time. Each video longs around 30 seconds and I want it to be played in a loop for all the video (along 2hours). Since Modul8 only have 10 layers, I have to find a way to turn off the firsts layers but keep its content in a loop.
    Using "direct output to disk" I can merge layers, but once I have reached 10 layers I have to stop the video and load the output. This makes the video to be "broken" at some point, so every time the video loops, something will appear-dissapear in the output, what is what I am trying to avoid.
    So, any idea there? :)

Thanks a lot for your support,
    Diego
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Just by not understanding what you try to do exactly I would say that Modul8 is NOT the app you can use for this. And your solution seems to be the most difficult one. If you could explain again maybe with step-by-step what you are doing I may be more helpful.
    What I understand so far
    you have 30sec video clips that you want to loop for 2 hours
    you put these on 10 layers, but need more layers
    What i do not understand is what these layer stacks do - blend with luma key, position differently on the screen or what?
    Why do you need many layers?

I am using Isadora for complex video installations since few years back. While Modul8 is very good and probably the most capable app it has its limits - 10 layers and 128 slot media bin just to mention few.
    Isadora may have a bit hard to master and is clumsy to set up some times, but it will do quit a lot where M8 falls very short.
    If you are good with computers you could build something with Quartz Composer too.
  • dmelladom

by dmelladom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks a lot vanakaru for your answer. I will try Isadora soon :)
    I found this for video delayed:
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5727
    which may be useful for somebody :)
    But I am having the same effect that you have when you face two mirrors: the delayed image becomes smaller and smaller each time :(
    I am afraid I should find a work around!
    Very best,
    Diego