No way to "preload uncompressed" when clips with audio
    txo!?

No way to "preload uncompressed" when clips with audio

by txo!? » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi there

I realized that I cannot preload uncompressed to ram any vídeo containing audio.
    I have 8Gb ram and tried out a lot of combinations at the preferences "media".
    The videos are less than 20Mb uncompressed.
    It works well when I take off the audio from the loop or when I check to ignore sound at the preferences, so no sound.

the only answer I imagine is: It can't be done, no way to preload uncompressed when the clip has audio in it.
    and so desired to fast trigger to do some drum machine style stuff :(

I'm running Modul8 2.6.2 on Macos 10.6.3

Anyone knows about this?

thanks in advance!
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: No way to "preload uncompressed" when clips with audio

by vanakaru » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 am

Try CoGe or Resolume. I am pretty sure these do the job well.
    txo!?

by txo!? » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 am

I guess that means: no, it can't be done :wink:

it's a pitty

ok, i'll try to sell my modul8 license and buy a resolume one... nop, is a joke :P

i'll try to split audio to live (or so) and trigger both together...

thanks
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Audio has never been a part of Modul8 really. Recent releases have introduced some audio in possibilities(frequency) for controlling effects, but playing audio is meant to left for DJs.
    While Resolume is specially made for video+audio clip sampling/triggering.
    I have not played sound out of the M8 much, so I may be somewhat misinformed. It just I think every app has its niche and should be used exclusively. I personally don't like monster apps that do everything and drag along features that I may never use.

BTW why do you need uncompressed and what codec you use for it (Animation or something else). You may try ProRes if your mac can handle it. It looks very good on screen. And out of curiosity I tried a clip encoded AIC with sound 15min long and it does play fine, can be scratched, reversed, speed up/down with audio playing accordingly. If you try Animation, forget it. It is not made for playback ever.
    txo!?

by txo!? » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 pm

hi

I used quite a lot of times sound inside modul8 and it works quite well. No problem at all about reversing, scrathing, speed up/down etc. in fact i like so much how it handle speed up/down and so on. Also if you use a good audio sample (high res and rate) you could avoid clicks and so when reversing or cueing. The "smooth sound" from the preferences works ok also. And it already has volume and pan for each layer... so nice :)

Is not about "doing music" but about using video's audio and sampling a little bit (sometimes on a base from a sound program).

I use photo jpg and audio on IMA 4:1 that i found it works quite well (just doing test&fail so it could be better).
    What I wanted is to "preload uncompressed" just to have a fast triggering possibilities as you have when only video (in fact is amazing how fast works when preload uncompressed :) ), because if you work "preload compressed" you lose, let's say a beat or so.

so, if is not posible I'll find another way ;D
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 pm

OK, sorry I did not understand your question really. It seems you can not ”preload uncompressed” with audio indeed.
    txo!?

by txo!? » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:24 pm

that's right :)

thank you