Reducing buffer time for streaming video
  • oddlog

Reducing buffer time for streaming video

by oddlog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi everybody.. my first time on forum and already a problem :)

I'm having problem with buffer time for streaming video.
    Video is streamed from quicktime broadcaster with 0 delay time.
    If video is opened on target machine with quicktime there is no latency, but if video is opened with modul8 there is 3-5s latency so it must be modul8 related.
    Is there a way to reduce this to 0?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Chadcona

Re: Reducing buffer time for streaming video

by Chadcona » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:37 pm

How do you stream video through modul8? Not much help, just more questions. ha
  • oddlog

by oddlog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:07 pm

In this example I was trying to open streaming video from local network in modul8.. it works but with latency as described.
    But if i understood correctly you want to stream out of modul8. It can be done by sending output to syphon, then with quartz composer plugin you can open it with CamTwist and have it like a virtual webcam. After that you can broadcast it with any broadcasting software.
  • Chadcona

by Chadcona » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Thats a cool trick there Oddlog. I was looking for a way to capture a webstream live through modul8? eg. have http://visibletweets.com/ and sent into modul8 so i can mix and split it into madmapper. The delay in this case wouldn't really matter I'm guessing, I'm reading about screengrabbers into a virtual webcam? Is this what you've done with the delay? Are you doing live video? or playing video with audio? If you're having problems syncing audio to video could you maybe stream/play the video with VLC and use the audio offset feature to get it in sync? Just a thought..
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 am

What you describe, grabbing http://visibletweets.com/ is not really what's talked about here. Streaming video is different from grabbing something from a web browser on the same computer.

If you want to stream from an IP cam you can use IPCAM to Syphon to get the camera straight into MadMapper. But if you need more textures you might want to bring it into Modul8 first which is possible with some tricks. Search the forum for Syphon input.

As for getting the tweets http://visibletweets.com you can either use CamTwist but you can also use a Syphon screen grabber wich will give you better image quality. Again: google for Syphon input in the forums if you want to use it in Modul8. Other VJ apps like VDMX has built in functions for grabbing screens from other apps.
  • Chadcona

by Chadcona » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Midi Thief absolute legend!

I've been a long time reader of your posts, your trick to speed video to sound used with waveclock has improved my vjsets dramatically! I've been a dj/vj for just over 10 years, always wanted a hands off interactive video show and i'm finally getting it solved! Everybody should get waveclock, so tight! Anyway, I was wondering if syphon could be used for my purpose, when i get some time later this week I'm gonna figure it all out. Thanks.

ps and sorry for hijacking your thread oddlog. good luck with the buffer issue.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks Chadcona!
    And for oddlog: Sorry, I don't know more about streaming but post if you figure it out. It's interesting.