DMX control of Modul8
  • soave.ryan

DMX control of Modul8

by soave.ryan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:39 pm

If I want to control Modul8 from a lighting desk, would I need an Enntec box that inputs into my MacBook from the desk? And then patch on the desk dimmer channels that correspond to the software DMX module, or do I need a specific fixture personality for the desk?
  • renaud
    activ8 member

Re: DMX control of Modul8

by renaud » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Two cases :
    #1 : your lighting board doesn't output artnet
    => You will need A DMX/USB box or a DMX/RJ45 box to transform DMX from xlr socket/cable to your computer running software.
    If you want to send DMX to the M8 computer AND to some light dimmers, you will need at lease two DMX outputs OR a DMX splitter

#2 : your lighting board output artnet
    => You won't need any box because you will put a Cat5 cable between the lighting board and the M8 computer.

I hope to answer to your question
  • soave.ryan

by soave.ryan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes it does that makes sense thanks. As I understand it I will use the DMX fixture module in Modul8 to control the software. As in I will patch on the lighting board channel 1 universe 1 and that will control the effect that corresponds to the same channel on the DMX fixture module.
  • Hutchi

by Hutchi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:39 pm

How do you know what to write in the command box you can link? i created a fixture linked to channel dmx 110, i want it to go to the first video of the first page and play it, or got to the second page video 2. how do i do that i ? cant find any guide for command to input into function box. "just use basic keywords" don't mean much to me.

Thanks for any helps
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Hutchi wrote:How do you know what to write in the command box you can link? i created a fixture linked to channel dmx 110, i want it to go to the first video of the first page and play it, or got to the second page video 2. how do i do that i ? cant find any guide for command to input into function box. "just use basic keywords" don't mean much to me.

Thanks for any helps

. i would probably write a module for what you want to do.

. take a look at the DMX section of the Modul8 manual (http://www.modul8.ch/documentation/modules_manual/ )

. from there, you would want to capture the incoming DMX message and have it play the video clip. i'm not sure what you mean by 'page'… if you're talking about the preset pages (above the video layers) that's "ctrl_master_layerSetGroupA" if you're talking about the 4x4 grid of video clips, you would set "ctrl_layer_media" to the video clip you wanted to play (0 for the first video on "page" 1, 16 for page 2, 32 for page 3, etc)

. as i mentioned in my other reply the 'basic keywords' refer to the primary Modul8 interface - Look at "Modules" -> "Keywords Browser" to get a better idea of what the keywords are.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • Hutchi

by Hutchi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks for your reply, I found an ok module in the public library (dmx2media) but users should'nt have to go thru that length of trouble to link dmx channels to modul8 controls or media , it is ridiculous.

why can't it be like in Madmapper when you map dmx controls exactly like midi or key board?
    'right click' the media or control ---> assign dmx channel.period.

Would anyone really want to write command lines like that for every midi button they need.

Anyway that small module did it for me for now but garageCUBE need to step up their modul8 interface.