midi confusion
    tdog
    super8 member

midi confusion

by tdog » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:26 pm

hi,
    been away from m8 for a while... could any of you kind folks explain to me simply the different midi settings - focus, position, layer-set and position..
    i thought i had it, but......

thanks,
    tdog
    By any means necessary....
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

Re: midi confusion

by pele2010 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi tdog,

i am not shure, but maybe this helps you ?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8921

hope this helps you ....

Pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 pm

thanks,
    i have seen that post....
    it doesn't really answer the question.. but thanks any way...

however.. i think i got it now - by trial and error as usual -...

tdog
  • ridart

by ridart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 am

Good evening tdog

If you can shed more light on the subject please share your findings.
    James was helpful in his posts (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8921 see above) but in the end his solution was to move into module writing.
    MIDI still seems to be more of a dark art in M8 than any other app.
    A comprehensive and definitive explanation of its M8 implementation would be so useful.
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:41 pm

I believe this is addressed in the manual... but here we go for old times sake (or some sake)...

Focus

- This is the only mode where you can map controls to master controls such as the master fade, master speed and the layer set buttons.

- When mapping a control to a layer the parameter you have mapped will control the layer that is in focus, meaning the layer that is currently selected (or highlighted) on the layer stack.

Example: If you map a slider to the playback speed of a layer and layer 1 is selected the slider will change speed the speed of the clip playing in layer 1 and if you change 'focus' to layer 2 the slider will change the speed of the clip in layer 2.

Position

Continuing with the layer speed example, if you map a slider to the speed of a layers playback in this mode then the slider will only be able to control the speed of layer 1. The 'position' means the position of the layer. If you switch layers around, say by switching layer 1 with layer 2, the slider will still only control the layer in that position (position 1).

If you change layer sets the fader will control the speed of layer 1 in position 1 in every layer set.

Position + Layerset

In this mode, if we mapped the slider to the speed of the layer in position 1 then we would only be able to do this in the layer set we mapped the slider to. So if we mapped the slider to the speed of layer position 1 in layer set 1 and then switched to layer set 2 then the slider would not change the speed of the layer.

In general one should take great care when doing midi mappings. One of the biggest caveats is accidentally binding the same control in two different modes. It can happen if you are working on something complex. I usually prefer to stick with one mode when it comes to assigning specific controls for layers.

Keep things simple, rehearse and you should not have any troubles.
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 am

sorry, been away....

thanks for that.. i know it's what the manual says, but somehow your explanation is clearer..
    got it now...

cheers.
    tdog
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm

You're most welcome.
  • samulj

by samulj » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm wondering if the FOCUS / POSITION / LAYERSET+POSITION explanation is completely omitted from the latest manual? I think I have the newest manual version (modul8_manual_EN_web_1.2.0.pdf) because I just downloaded it from yourspacemodul8.garagecube.com.