optimal resolution 2nd desktop/clips for output via S-Video
  • fons

optimal resolution 2nd desktop/clips for output via S-Video

by fons » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:29 pm

hi,

just wondering how to set resolution for the 2nd desktop when using the S-Video out of the Powerbook. And in conjunction with screen resolution, what resolution to choose for the clips.

I've read in the FAQs that it's not good to set 2nd Desktop higher than the resolution of the output device (S-Video -> projector). So i'd assume going PAL/DV resolution (720x576) for 2nd desktop and using quarter PAL clips resolution would be ideal?

I'm currently using 320x240 PhohoJPEG at 75% at a screen resolution of 800x600. What i want to achieve is optimal scaling of my footage to the final resolution. I'm not 100% happy with what I get from putting a 320x240 clip on a workspace of 800x600 and blowing size up to max.

thanks
    fons
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:48 pm

If you are in S-VIDEO PAL you should set your 2nd desktop to 768x576 (that is the true resolution native of PAL) or else the computer scales a second time (and this is bad). You should also the full video screen mode in the preferences (overscan) or else it is scaled another time.

Now regarding your clips, the ideal size depends a lot of your working context and the performance of your machine. With a higher resolution, you should have better quality when you scale up the layer. On the other hand, higher is the resolution, lower are the performances. The resolution of the clip is a bit like the DPI of the static images. Higher it is, higher are the details.

Yves.

by Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:51 am

thank you, Yves

will use 768x576 for the 2nd desktop then.
    concerning clip resolutions - well it's obvious that higher resolution will look better. in my situation i won't be able to use clips that match the full rendering resolution. so the question is: if i can't go 768x576, will it be better to use quarter PAL resolution for scaling results (devided by 2), or will 320x240 be scaled up with nearly the same quality?

i ask this because with other software it's sometimes recommended to use quarter resolution if full res is not possible - scaling up to final res will be smoother then ...

would like to keep my 320x240 clips as they are, but if - from a technical point of view - quarter PAL is better, i'd either do renderings with that resolution or set my 2nd desktop to 640x480 and use 320x240.

thanks
    fons
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:42 pm

Hmm confused... I'm using 720x576 resolution, is this bad?
    My clips use to be at this res or 320x240.

by Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:59 pm

accroding to Yves' suggestions it's better tu use 768x576 for 2nd desktop, as this is the native PAL resolution. using a differrent res would cause everything to be scaled from 720x575 (in your case) to 768x576, which is not so good ...

clip resolution: if your clips have the same resolution as your 2nd desktop -> optimal. if clips have a lower resolution (e.g. 320x240) the question is: should clips be exactly quarter of the final resolution (384x288 = quarter PAL instead of 320x240) to get best possible scaling from Modul8?

fons
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:58 pm

Anonymous wrote:accroding to Yves' suggestions it's better tu use 768x576 for 2nd desktop, as this is the native PAL resolution.
    fons

Do not forget to set the overscan option when you are in 768x576 !

Anonymous wrote:if i can't go 768x576, will it be better to use quarter PAL resolution for scaling results (devided by 2), or will 320x240 be scaled up with nearly the same quality?

Please note that with the bi-linear filtering that we use in Modul8, using quarter or half size does not give better results than using any other divisor. Better quality requires higher media resolution.

Yves.
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:10 pm

The thing is, we use to capture into our DV camera, and that one takes 720x576. You think the cam would take the 768x576 resolution?

Would changing to 768x576 improve the performance?

by Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:31 pm

yves@garagecube wrote: quarter or half size does not give better results than using any other divisor.
    Yves.

thanks Yves - that's exactly what i wanted to know, no 'magic' divisor.

Akira, your camera won't do anything other than PAL/DV in 720x576. the resolution of 768x576 should be the screen resolution of your 2nd desktop, if you use s-video out.

fons
  • five

export resolutions and quality

by five » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:07 pm

hy maybe someone can help me. i try to get something exported wich i did in dv-pal 720-576 25ps. what is the best quality to export after i scrached something and recorded it to the disc. i would like to work with it in final cut hd. so what is the best quality? thanks for any suggestions,
    five
    VJ-A2D
    activ8 member

by VJ-A2D » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:11 pm

well if you are working in FCP use DV !! ?
    Plus2 Collectiv
  • five

well if you are working in FCP use DV !! ?

by five » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:29 pm

i think thats what im doing. exporting it with apple dv-pal 800-600 25ps but wenn i work (import it) with the highest resolution on my g4 powerbook with 1g ram with the big grafficcard it seams that the movie drops frames. i even started playing the movie in half speed and speed it up later in fc but it doesent work eather. is there a way to get the best out of this footage without having a worse resolution to begin with? is there any trick? maybe export with more frames? do i have to use a faster computer?
    thanks so far,
    five
    VJ-A2D
    activ8 member

by VJ-A2D » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:36 am

Why do you export them from FCP to the import it to FCP (if that's waht i understand)

Go in your scratch folder in your FCP setting usually in your ~/Documents if you haven't changed it. Then just copie the file and import them in FCP on your Powerbook. You don't need to export them, you will loose time/quality if you don't take the good ones, and that's not the point! use the native DV from your camera!

--
    Gab
    Plus2 Collectiv
  • five

by five » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:53 pm

THE SHORT VERSION: IF I IMPORT THE MODUL8RECORDING INTO FCP FROM, THE MOVIE APREAS TO HAVE DROPED FRAMES? HOW DO I OPTIMISE THE QUALITY OF THE MOVIE COMING FROM DV AND BACK INTO DV?
    what im doing is:
    im taking a 3min. video wich i worked with in fcp (in dv-pal). i scratch the whole video and put the rendered-scratched-footage from modul8 back into a final cut sequence to work with the good bits of the scratching in the old video. cut it up so that it looks good to have a non realtime video with scrated elements in it.
    wenn i do the sratching part it seams the movie drops frames even thou i have a very fast powerbook with a big grafic card etc.
    maybe im stoopid and there is no quality lost but it seams to me there is.
    i also tried to export it on dv camera (and i think that could work) but what exacly did you mean with getting it from the fcp documents. its a video wich has at least 50 different sources and effects and is combined in a single sequence i am exporting in to dv-pal. sorry for beeing so stupid but i dont get it.did i miss something in what you sayed?
    THANKS FOR YOURE HELP :oops: