Feature request - Better midi support
  • soltec

Feature request - Better midi support

by soltec » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Modul8 has very basic midi support. The Udart 2-way midi module (and variants) are great, but really Modul8 should have better support built-in.

If VJ-ing is in similar context and need to DJ-ing, much could be learned from Native Instruments Traktor's approach to midi control and particularly midi feedback/output. Traktor's midi implementation is arguably better than any other DJ program, and really when it comes down to it, better than any DAW.

What is really lacking in Modul8:
    - Fine control of over CC/note output. We need to be able to control level/velocity of any CC/note to light up the LEDS of the latest midi controllers. Please remember - for proper mapping of colors, very often the CC amount to light the LED is different than what is echoed back from the control input.
    - Conditional mapping. Modul8 has a large number of parameters which can be mapped, but many controllers simply don't have enough buttons/knobs to host them all, so a shift-button or combo-button scheme can greatly expand the possible mapping locations on one controller.

Seriously Garagecube, this is 2015 and most controllers released on the market today have variable color Leds and bi-directional communication. A controller mapped to Modul8 without visual feedback is naturally less attractive. To be fair, I can't think of another VJ solution which has the above features, but can we all admit that this is sorely needed in Modul8?

Your "feedback" is appreciated. :wink:
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

Re: Feature request - Better midi support

by pele2010 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Have you seen the

http://shop.garagecube.com/micromodul8

This controller is coded so it has all what you are asking for, i guess.

And I think that think that the

https://collectedconsciousness.wordpres ... ag/modul8/

is working good together with the launchpad.

I have not tested DMX, but i guess some of the be-directional communication is done with light desks.

But I agree. It would be very helpful if we could combine midi with "shift" keys .

This is already integrated in MadMapper as i found out the other day. So i guess the team is working on it.

Have you ever tested a monome with the module monomal ?

this is really greate!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... monome.htm

here is a demo:

https://vimeo.com/9959096

i hope this helps.

by the way anybody out there that has a BFC2000 Module ?

thanxs

pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
  • paullarry

by paullarry » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:41 am

thanks for posting this link mate
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 pm

I've got no modul for the BCF 2000 but written a detailed manual for the configuration.
    I've used the BCF a long time before I switched to the iPad and touch OSC.
    If anybody is interested in I can send it via e-Mail.
    It's in english or german.
    You can also use the midi feedback modul from Udart. It's nice to see the motorised faders dancing.
    /// Chuck Goldfinger ::: Live Visuals Frankfurt /// VJing, Videomapping, Stagedesign, Photography, Graphic Design and more based in Rhein-Main area ::: by bk-Art.org ///