stretch to fit

stretch to fit

by Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:52 pm

i just bought modul8 and realised to my horror that when loading in clips less than 720x576 a black border appears around them wich seems proportional to their size. ie. the smaller the clip the larger the border. most of my clips are 320x240 so they only fill about half the screen. this is clearly totaly unacceptable. although it is possible to zoom in on each clip somewhat using the size slider i realy dont want to have to do that for each clip individually. i seriously hope there is a solution for this, dont remember seing that in the demo version either

cheers
    mo
    boris
    garageCube team

Re: stretch to fit

by boris » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:49 pm

mo wrote:i just bought modul8 and realised to my horror that when loading in clips less than 720x576 a black border appears around them wich seems proportional to their size. ie. the smaller the clip the larger the border.

I never saw this kind of problem, the black border is not in your media ?
    Please send me a example movie, and I could check it.

mos wrote:most of my clips are 320x240 so they only fill about half the screen. this is clearly totaly unacceptable. although it is possible to zoom in on each clip somewhat using the size slider i realy dont want to have to do that for each clip individually. i seriously hope there is a solution for this, dont remember seing that in the demo version either

You can use the MASTER SCALE and all your media in your composition will be scaled.
    Regarding size differentiation: the software was rather designed for compositing (and not only full screen media), it helps to prepare your media beforehand.
    We did include a feature which would scaled all media to the same size in our alpha version however the user interface ended up in shambles.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • mo

by mo » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:42 pm

so from what you are saying this seems this is normal behaviour in your software rather than a bug or a configuration problem on my mac??

i find the solution with the master scale rather sub-optimal since not all the clips i intend to use are of the same dimensions, so some will either be clipped or others will still show a border around them.

it seems then the only way to make sure this doesnt happen is to render all my clips to 720x576 (or whatever the native resolution of modul8 is??). surely that can't be true?

mo
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:52 pm

Well I don't know how you work but it is sensical to make all your clips at the same resolution.

If most of your clips are 320x240, set the master scale to max and then individually set each movie that is not what the majority is so they look good.

I really do not understand why are you working with differently-sized media, unless you want to do pans and other stuff (in which case you wouldn't need to scale it)

modul8 has no "native resolution".
  • mo

by mo » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:12 pm

i want to work with different size clips because for some the source is low res and it seems a waste to upsample them just to avoid having a border while wasting processing time and harddisk space.

and i dont understand how modul8 cannot have a native resolution if i get a border for 320x240 clips but not 720x576 - seems to me the latter is pretty close to whatever the native resolution is. but whatever you call it, in any case there is a clip dimension that exactly fits in the output window without either having a black border or clipping the edges. what is that resolution??

mo
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:54 pm

Modul8 don't have native resolution read the F.A.Q. for more explications :
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59

Do not confuse black border and scaling/background color, please, It's not the same thing.

We'll release an minor update with the absolu/relative scaling option very soon.

Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • mo

still confused

by mo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:24 pm

it seems like we are arguing about terminology, but the fact is i am still not clear what is happening and how to fix it. to clarify, when i said black border i meant whatever shows through from the background (i.e. its the transparent bit), but because i had no other clips behind the one i loaded it just happended to look black i.e. the black is NOT part of my clip

so i am still not clear on two things:

1. is the behaviour i am seeing normal and expected or is there something unexpected or wrong with my setup?

2. and if the answere to 1 is "yes, it is normal behaviour" - then what is the exact dimension i need to make a clip so that no transparent background or black border will show when i load it (when using the default scaling settings) - i assure you there is such a resolution, you might just not call it native resolution.
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: still confused

by yves@garagecube » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:56 pm

mo wrote:so i am still not clear on two things:

1. is the behaviour i am seeing normal and expected or is there something unexpected or wrong with my setup?

2. and if the answere to 1 is "yes, it is normal behaviour" - then what is the exact dimension i need to make a clip so that no transparent background or black border will show when i load it (when using the default scaling settings) - i assure you there is such a resolution, you might just not call it native resolution.

1.) Yes it is a normal behavior. Modul8 works like a compositing application where each layer is like an object that you can move, rotate and scale in front of a color background (that is black by default).

2.) Well, as long as all your medias have the same size (resolution) you can use a fixed scale.

NOW, we are going to release the V1.1.0 today (should be the last minor update before our next major release). This new version has an option that does exactly what you want.

Best Regards,
    Yves * GarageCUBE
  • mo

by mo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:03 pm

i am glad to hear that you are releasing an update that does what i want!
    will i just be able to download it from your site and use it?

mo
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:06 pm

mo wrote:i am glad to hear that you are releasing an update that does what i want!
    will i just be able to download it from your site and use it?

You will receive the download informations by email.

Yves.
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:28 pm

mo wrote:i am glad to hear that you are releasing an update that does what i want!

Check the version 1.1 (that is online now). There is an "Absolute Scaling" option in the "Transform" panel. This option should do what you are looking for.

Yves.