Do I need to match the resolution of my projector?
  • tlfynn

Do I need to match the resolution of my projector?

by tlfynn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi,

A few questions in one here, but I feel they all relate to one another well.

I'm using a projector with a native resolution of 1440x1080. Should I be creating movie files at the same resolution? And should I be upping my Advanced Output size in Modul8 to match that projector resolution as well?

Also what should the 3 options in Preferences/Misc be set to? (Movie Folder Maximum Size__x__, Quartz Composer Render Size __x__ and Syphon Output Size __x__)

I've been pondering over this for a while now, the Modul8 default of 640x480 seems small but rendering videos at 1440x1080 creates pretty big files.

Thanks for your help!!
  • tlfynn

Re: Do I need to match the resolution of my projector?

by tlfynn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:15 am

(I thought I'd post the response I received from the same question sent to the Garage Cube support email)

Modul8 Renders video given the given GPU resolution , Modul8 will match your native resolution of 1440x1080 . if you want to be pixel perfect then use the advanced output and add a clip with the size of your projector .
    ​the movie folder or quartz composition size from the preferences does not sets the video output size.

As regards rendering videos , if you want to take advantage of your video projector 'sresolutionm you have to render at 1140x1080 though if you run modul8 2.9.2 the media player engine is not optimised for large videos and we recommend to render at 75% of the final resolution since the scaling and antialias algorithm is great.

If you runthe Lastest Beta version available on the modul8 yourspace page , you will see a leap in the movie playback with HAP and h264.
    By the way i recommend you to export your media in HAP which gies nice video performance with the current version and amazing performances with the upcoming version

Best Regards,
    Gael | GarageCube Team