Pi Cap on raspberry pi +Processing + Minimad
  • sputnik

Pi Cap on raspberry pi +Processing + Minimad

by sputnik » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 am

I am trying to launch interactive setup which includes :
    1. Pi Cap from Bare Conductive +raspberry Pi - sending OSC signal (thru their script) https://github.com/BareConductive/picap ... eam-osc-py to Processing software on PC
    2. Processing software on PC running script https://github.com/BareConductive/picap-madmapper and communicating with Madmapper
    3. Madmapper on PC receiving OSC signal from Processing

My question is if I can avoid installing PC and substitute it with Minimad? This will also require moving 'Processing' software to raspberry pi ,or maybe to Minimad ? since it is raspberry platform .There is Linux version of Processing available .The new setup would look like this then:
    1.Pi Cap from Bare Conductive +raspberry Pi + possibly 'Processing' software receiving OSC signal from Pi Cap and forwarding commands to Minimad thru same script as mentioned above ?
    2. Minimad receiving OSC signal from Processing (or maybe there is some way to install Processing on Minimad ??)
    I know I have to change commands in Madmapper script as they differ from Minimad's - Matt advised that -I have similar post about that on Madmapper's section.

Whole idea is to have only two boxes -Raspberry & Minimad. Would that theoretically work ? Don't have Minimad yet ,as want to figure out if for this kind of permanent installation & setup if all this would work.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: Pi Cap on raspberry pi +Processing + Minimad

by Pierre Guilluy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:30 pm

If you can generate OSC commands from Processing (or OpenFrameworks or anything else that suits you) running on Raspberry Pi, you should be able to control the miniMAD.

The controlling script (Processing) could theoretically run on the miniMAD, but the problem is the miniMAD is meant to be connected to an ethernet network (preferably with a DHCP server) to receive OSC commands, so I'm not sure sending commands on the loopback network would even work...

A solution that could work though is using an extra Raspberry Pi that's directly connected to the miniMAD using an ethernet cable, and acts as a DHCP server (http://www.noveldevices.co.uk/rp-dhcp-server) and run you controlling script.
    That way, the miniMAD would be on a local DHCP-enabled network and therefor receive OSC commands from another machine.
    This solution also has the advantage of not-altering the miniMAD behavior and performance.
  • sputnik

by sputnik » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the insight analisys ! that might work. I'm no programmer ,thus it is difficult for me to figure out network stuff . I have script -this one in Processing -communicating with either Madmapper or Minimad in this case -so this part should work as you say with extra raspberry as DHCP server. The only thing I have to figure out with the help of some programmer where to put Processing ? on first raspberry with Pi Cap (but I think there was a problem with loopback network 127.0.0.1) or the second one (DHCP). As I say -I'm no programmer. But the whole thing is going in right direction !.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:54 pm

In my idea, the Raspberry Pi with the Pi Cap would also act as a DHCP server (which doesn't represent much processing power for the Raspberry Pi).
  • sputnik

by sputnik » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks for the tip. I would probably have to try. Will have to talk to programmer, as my head is spinning with network stuff 🙂
  • sputnik

by sputnik » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Just got my Minimad ,but having trouble to make it work with 'Processing' script forwarding OSC from PiCap (script mentioned in previous posts) . I was trying to amend this script which btw works flawlessly with Madmapper (this is how it works https://youtu.be/YoqXyTWMA64 ) . Probably I'm doing sth wrong with OSC commands in amended by me version of this script 'picap_minimad.pde'. Looking at screenshots taken from my raspberry (with PiCap+Processing installed on it+OSC DataMonitor) ,raspberry is listening to port 1111 (OSC DataMonitor) - but I cannot forward OSC signal from PiCap to Minimad thru this modified script. Have changed to port 1111 ,added IP of my Minimad ,but I think the problem is OSC commands shown on screenshot 2. Also noticed that during export to Minimad medias have changed from .mp4 to .mov -this I have also changed in script .Everything is connected to my home Wifi router (raspberry wirelessly & Minimad directly with ethernet cable )
    Also I doubt that I will be able to replicate the same setup working on Minimad which I have done thru Madmapper (series of quads with different medias assigned - both Madmapper files attached) . I know about Minimad's limitation in this regard ,also the way it is constructed in Madmapper - quads with medias are using blending mode -stencil luma. I presume this is not possible on Minimad . I know it is little bit complicated -thus attached files & screenshots to illustrate . I'm completely stuck ,and you are my last resort :)
    Screenshots+setup https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cgwuB ... -K2pAw9-Cn
    Attachments
    processing_scripts.ZIP
    (1.56 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
    Madmapper_files.ZIP
    (11.44 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:17 pm

I quickly gave a look at your processing code and directly noticed an error:

OscMessage msg = new OscMessage("/medias/" + mediasList[electrode] + "/replay");

That's not the way miniMAD control through OSC works.

You should first set the current media: /set_media_by_name/{media name}
    Then, to restart the media: /replay

Please refer to the miniMAD user-guide for the list of commands you can send:
    https://madmapper.com/wp-content/upload ... ide_v8.pdf
  • sputnik

by sputnik » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will try that . Do you think it is even possible to replicate on Minimad scenario (like I have done with Madmapper) to be able to press different sensors (like in my YouTube link with the test) and activate different medias . In Madmapper it was easy as I have had 10 quads and 10 medias assigned to them .All quads were full res of projector in blending mode stencil luma -so the animations are overlapping which is nice. I can not figure out how to overcome Minimad's limitation in this regard ,about multiple medias on multiple quads.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 am

As explained in the miniMAD user-guide, miniMAD is able to play a single media (movie or image).
    However, you can think about compositing several movies in the same movie file as a workaround to this limitation.
    As for the blending mode, Stencil Luma is not supported on the miniMAD for now.
  • sputnik

by sputnik » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:08 pm

But how then to access several sequences in single movie file thru pressing different sensors ? Only if this single movie would have assigned different sequence times (position in timeline) to each sensor. Ie. e0.mov(0-0.30) , e0.mov (0:30-1:00) ..etc . Is that possible with other OSC commands. Can not find more information on ,how they work.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:38 pm

For now you can only change the current (and single) movie playing on the set of surfaces.
    There's no way to control the timing of the playback so far.
  • sputnik

by sputnik » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks for that! . I think I give up trying to make it work on Minimad. Will stick to Madmapper then.. :)