miniMad light and audio
  • moekeeping

miniMad light and audio

by moekeeping » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello,
    we will produce a standalone LED installation and there should be an ambient sound synchronized to the video.
    We already mangaged to export the video sequence to the minimad. Is it somehow possible to play audio in this mode? Is it possible to somehow synchronize an other audio device?
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: miniMad light and audio

by Pierre Guilluy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Have you exported MadLight sequences (miniMAD Light) or video mapping (miniMAD Video)?

For now, audio playback is only supported in miniMAD Video.
  • moekeeping

by moekeeping » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Yes we exported a MadLight sequence, so we need to figure out something. Do you know if it is possible to send some commands from the miniMAD wich we can use as Sync Signal for an additional audio player?
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:50 pm

So far, miniMAD Light doesn't send anything but DMX to the outside world.

Maybe you can record a dedicated DMX fixture you will use for synchronisation?
  • 6L20_akw

by 6L20_akw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi,
    I had the same need, synchronise sound with a light sequence playing on a miniMad.

I made a little python3 script for that matter. It runs on another raspberry (actually a very old dusty first version one).

In your madmapper project, you need to add a useless pixel, that you will turn white for a short time when you need to launch the soundFile. Sound plays till the end and then stops, waiting for the next black to white transition. Please make sure your 'dummy pixel' actually goes to black before requesting a new sound start.

In the code bellow, please note I'm using address 1 of universe 85. You can of course change this by editing the MONITOR_UNIVERSE and MONITOR_ADDRESS fields.

The sound file has to be named "soundFile.wav", be exported as a 44100Hz 16bit WAV file, and be placed in the same folder as the script.

For the python newbies, to run it, open a terminal, and type "python3" followed by the path to the python script.

Hoping someone will find it usefull.
    Attachments
    Artnet2Sound.zip
    (2.13 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Garagecube team, it would be massively helpful if MiniMad Light could play audio files in lock step with DMX sequences, without using outside hacks. I'd imagine this would be much more complex than simply playing a video w/ audio (like MiniMad Video), but here's an idea:

In MadLight recorder (in MadMapper), what if there was an option to *record* audio on a selected audio interface while MM is recording DMX/Artnet output. That way, audio and the light sequence get recorded together, and ideally get played back together on the MiniMad. This would revolutionize how people make permanent LED installations with MiniMad and basically provide feature parity with MiniMad Video.

Or an alternative idea, if recording the audio for MadLight is too cumbersome: allow MiniMad Video and MiniMad Light units to synchronize with eachother (like pure MiniMad Video units can), and use the MiniMad video to play a video with only audio. Or even get a hybrid LED + projector setup running together, which would be amazing.

I kind of expected MiniMad to support all of this before I purchased two of them, and unfortunately they haven't been very helpful to me without these features (at least for DMX/Artnet). I'm looking forward to a richer feature set for MiniMad in the future!

Thanks,
    -Jason
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

We're currently thinking about such a solution that would enable exporting a whole show to the miniMAD.
    Unfortunately I can't give you anything specifics for now.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 am

That is great to hear! Thanks!
  • Fabioquiet

by Fabioquiet » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:23 am

Hello! Any news about this thread? I have the same need, to control with minimad Light+Audio. There are some possibilities? Maybe if i use 2 sync minimad? 1 for audio and 1 for light? It could works?
    Thanks
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Waiting for an integrated solution, check 6L20_akw's python script earlier on this thread.
  • kleurbleur

by kleurbleur » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:45 am

Asking for an upcoming project, I'm guessing that the status didn't change?
  • Fabioquiet

by Fabioquiet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Some news about audio/light play by minimad?
    Do you know if in a couple of months will be some release with this upgrade?
    Thanks
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 am

MadMapper 4 will feature miniMAD Light + Audio.

You will be able to attach an audio track to each recorded sequence, and export it all to the miniMAD, which will support the audio-jack output as well as USB-audio interface, including multi-channel ones.

Please subscribe the beta-testers mailing-list to be sure to test it as soon as it's available.