Questions before purchasing a miniMAD
  • Bamboozled

Questions before purchasing a miniMAD

by Bamboozled » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:54 am

Hello,

I'm working on an art installation for a show and I had a few questions before investing in a miniMAD. I'm also a little new to MadMapper in general so apologies in advance.

1. My installation consists of multiple looping gifs mapped on a sculpture with a live camera input. As I test exporting it to a miniMad (I don't have one yet, mind you) I found out that the live camera input will not be incorporated, which I understood. Are there any plans to incorporate live input in the future? (This has been asked here before but the posts are quite old so I'm checking again).

2. There was a notification that said "Selected Projector's surfaces are assigned to several different media. Since Minimad can display a single media at a time, the most used media has been selected as default media on all surfaces". I need all the gifs and video content to play at the same time, is this notification an indicator that playback of all media at the same time is going to be affected?

3. I'm looking to have a motion sensor hooked up to my miniMad to act as a playback trigger. Now, I know nothing about doing that and I'm still researching, so any suggestions/tutorial would greatly help in case anyone was successful in doing that.

Thank you!
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: Questions before purchasing a miniMAD

by Pierre Guilluy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 pm

1 & 2

A MiniMad can play a single image or movie at a time.
    If you'd like to incorporate multiple and/or unsupported media, you should consider recording your MadMapper's output as a movie (using Syphon, NDI or any screen capture technology) and use that movie as the media to export to the MiniMad.

A MiniMad can be controlled using onboard buttons, USB keyboard, microModul8 controller and OSC (cf the official user-guide).
    If you'd like to use a sensor, it's a matter of finding the best of those control methods, depending on your hardware configuration.