Minimad to send DMX to Teensy
  • hugo70

Minimad to send DMX to Teensy

by hugo70 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Hello,

I've been working with Madmapper to display a video on a Led matrix, controled by a teensy 3.6 board, it works fine with the computer link by USB to teensy,

So I bought the Minimad thinking that it would be the embeded madmapper boad to do the same thing, but after loocking at some post on the forum I see that it doesn't seems to work with teensy exept using a Ethernet interface between the teensy and the minimad...

So my question is, can the minimad have the same behaviour as Madmapper, sending DMX frames by Serial, so the teensy board can read it and so light up LED matrix ?

If not, what option do I have to make this teensy working with Minimad ? because buying a USB-DMX controler like Enttec isn't a suitable option for my project (budget issu).

Thanks a lot :)

Hugo
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Minimad to send DMX to Teensy

by mad-matt » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi Hugo,
    Teensy with MadLED protocol is nice for prototyping, but we don't recommend it for a real setup. That's why we're not supporting it in miniMAD, since miniMAD is supposed to be used for installations, where you need a reliable setup.
    If you do bad cabling on the teensy while it's connected to the usb port of a laptop or miniMAD, you have the risk to burn you usb port, there is no fuse on your teensy.
    For 100$ you have a reliable and high quality device with fuses one each output, for instance: https://www.advateklights.com/pixlite-4 ... trol-board
    Matt
  • hugo70

by hugo70 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:01 pm

Hello Mad-matt,

thanks for your reply, in fact I only do prototyping set-ups, so I always make sure to seperate the power and logic/low current systems,
    and as I don't use much Leds I'd love to make the minimad to work with my teensy board because the rest of my system is based on it :/

So to make a communication possible between the Teensy and the minimad as it is done with the computer software Madmapper, what would you recommend ?

thanks a lot,

hugo
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:29 pm

That's not possible. It would require listing serial ports on the MiniMad to find an arduino/teensy vendor ID / Product ID, export the "ArtNet -> LED USB devices" routing table to the MiniMad, and add this processing inn MiniMad light software. While it's not impossible, it's not planned and has not really been requested by other users. Since our roadmap is busy for a while, I suggest you switch to another LED driver.
  • hugo70

by hugo70 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:48 am

Hello Mad-Matt,

Thanks for this details, so I should forget the Teensy-solution, I'm going to use a Madmapper Compatible Led driver.
    For instance here is my need :

Create DMX recorde file on Madmapper then transfer it to the Led driver.
    Then I would embed this driver in my project using push button or Serial command to launch the DMX recorde on My Led Matrix.

the Leds will be power White led triggered individually using Mosfet or using Neopixel ship to link them as a standard adressable led strip.

In order to do this, wich Led driver would you recommand ?

Thanks a lot

Hugo