Replace Mad logo at bootup?

Anything about the miniMAD!

Moderator: Pierre Guilluy

Replace Mad logo at bootup?

Postby broken » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:14 pm

Just wondering if there's any way to change the Mad logo at boot up?

I was able to find the testcard files on my miniMAD sd but couldn't find any file that's replaceable for the startup logo.

It's only displayed for a few seconds, but I've already been asked what it means when using the miniMAD for a friend's retail shop.

Ideally it would be nice to have the option (even as a user replaceable file on the sd) to swap this image with a custom graphic of say the establishment that's running miniMADs, or my own logo as the person setting up and supporting the install. Basically to customize the whole experience for the end user.
broken
super8 member

Re: Replace Mad logo at bootup?

Postby Pierre Guilluy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:42 pm

There's already a way to add a custom splash screen to the miniMAD, but it's a bit hacky, so please make a backup of your miniMAD SD-card using Apple Pi-Baker before trying anything that's below!

First, the miniMAD must be running and connected through ethernet to the same network as your computer so you can access it through SSH (the miniMAD IP-address appears on top left of the screen when pressing YELLOW while holding BLUE).

Let's assume your miniMAD is started and its IP-address is 192.168.1.6.

The splash-screen image must be in PNG.
Let's assume it's called "image.png" and it's located in your user's Pictures folder.

In the Terminal:

1. copy/paste/edit the following line to copy your splash-screen PNG image to the miniMAD:
scp ~/Pictures/image.png pi@192.168.1.6:/mnt/MiniMad/splashscreen.png
(type "raspberry" when asked for a password)

2. copy/paste/edit the following line to install the splash-screen and restart the miniMAD:
ssh pi@192.168.1.6 "sudo cp /mnt/MiniMad/splashscreen.png /etc/; sudo reboot"
(type "raspberry" when asked for a password)

The miniMAD should then display your custom splash-screen in place of the original one at startup.
Pierre Guilluy
GarageCUBE team

Postby broken » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for the quick & concise reply. Appreciate the detailed information :)

Is there any file size restriction for this image, or limited to a certain resolution? Could it be a full 1920x1080p image?

Cheers & thanks
broken
super8 member

Postby Pierre Guilluy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:19 pm

I've tried with various sizes from 1920x1080 to 100x100 and it all worked, displayed with the correct aspect-ratio whatever the display size.
Pierre Guilluy
GarageCUBE team

Return to miniMAD (General)