No video, projector just flashes white
    broken
    super8 member

No video, projector just flashes white

by broken » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:58 am

First time running into this issue.. and sure enough it's for a new years gig.

Recorded a clip via Syphon recorder, and try to export it to miniMAD. export goes fine - but upon loading the splash screen shows, and then the projector just flashes white on & off, never playing the video.

Tried exporting 3 times now and same thing happens. Trying a format/restore .IMG from ApplePiBaker but not too hopeful.

Any ideas? I've used the default settings as well as unchecking "adapt resolution" option. no luck.

This may be the first time I've exported with Madmapper 2.5 release - which asked to update my miniMAD, not sure if it's related - my other sd card from previous versions plays fine.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: No video, projector just flashes white

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:25 am

Could you try exporting a standard video file or an image instead?
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi Pierre, Sorry for the brief report.. had tried this one SD card 3-4 times and no luck at all until I formatted and restored an IMG backup, then it worked fine.

Part of the problem is that I am creating clips on the SD card without having the miniMAD box with me (it lives at the venue) to test the exports beforehand, and the other part is when Madmapper gives no errors and tells me it was exported successfully - you don't imagine there would be any issues.

I'm not sure what happened to the SD card, it's the one that shipped with the miniMAD (8gb) but I'm using a 16gb card currently with no errors.

The clip I used in Madmapper was 28mins long and 1080p.. not sure if that matters at all - perhaps Madmapper got caught up during the video conversion? It was around a 13gb mov that SyphonRecorder outputted.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Could you remember the miniMAD was working properly?
    It's possible the application was damaged fr some reason, and flashing the card fixed it.

You can press Yellow while holding Blue, or press D to display application info, including current media, framerate, etc.

By the way, here's the latest 16GB SD-card image we made for the official release of miniMAD 2.5:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/25epijxweebfed7/miniMAD_2_5_b6032_161222_16GB.img.zip?dl=0
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm

The last time I did an export that worked fine prior to this one was December 2nd.

Not having any indication that anything went wrong during the export though is a bit of a concern - if Madmapper tells me everything went fine, I should not need to worry about if my media is bad, hardware issues or anything else being a problem.

But when I show up to the venue and suddenly the export with no issues will not play back - I'm left wondering what went wrong, and why I wasn't informed of some issue during the process.

If I knew there was some kind of issue I could attempt to re-do the export, format the sd card, or try to resolve it before it becomes a problem.

Would there be any logs anywhere of the miniMAD export process that might shed some light on what's going on? Perhaps I had a transcoding error and the video file on the sd card is unusable?

Unfortunately I won't have access to the miniMAD for a week or so to try the YELLOW/BLUE combo to show info, but will update things if I run across the same white flashing issue on another sd card.

Appreciate the 16gb IMG for the 2.5 release - I'd hacked up my own 16gb sd, but an official IMG is handy :)
    cheers!
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 am

Unfortunately, the export being successful doesn't mean the system isn't damaged.
    It just means the exporting / transcoding process for videos and images didn't report any error.

If the problem happens again, in addition to checking that the application's properly running, please send me the exported medias so further analysis.

That being said, the fact you fixed the problem by flashing the system and exporting the same project again, leads to think the problem is more on the system or the application side rather than the export.
  • balamsoto
    activ8 member

by balamsoto » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

I just had the exact same problem
    my problem was the media, I was using a mix of movies and textures
    then switch to just movies and works
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm

@balamsoto

What version of MadMapper / miniMAD are you running?

Please send me the combination of images and movies you got miniMAD having problems with as a PM, so I can reproduce the problem.
  • balamsoto
    activ8 member

by balamsoto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Pierre Guilluy

no a problem I was sharing a similar problem solution