Minimad Surfaces
  • hugoazarate

Minimad Surfaces

by hugoazarate » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:09 am

Hello guys,

So, I bought the Minimad a few days ago and I'm still getting used to it. Yesterday I created a project just as a test to see if the Minimad would actually "transfer" what I did exactly on MadMapper. I have a plastic structure that I mapped, since it is an irregular shape, I had to use a mask for it. When I did the exporting to the Minimad, I only had the quad surface and since it was the one I used for the media input I thought it was all good. After I finished loading everything and connecting the Minimad, I noticed that it only projected the actual quad and it didn't saved the mask I did for the structure.
    Did I missed to click something on the Madmapper software? Or did I do something wrong for this approach?

Every input is much appreciated. Thanks guys!
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: Minimad Surfaces

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:10 pm

As mentioned on the miniMAD webpage http://www.madmapper.com/minimad:

miniMAD 2.5 supports quad* and triangle surfaces.

Other surfaces (Circle, Mask, fixtures, Lines, 3d Surfaces) are not supported yet.

*Quad masks and shaders are not yet supported

You may be able to emulate a mask by creating a quad surface with red, green, blue values set to 0 (black mask).
  • brendanrbercik

Re: Minimad Surfaces

by brendanrbercik » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 pm

I also just bought a miniMAD and am working on a project requiring masks as well.

I have yet to try it, but what if you just created a new quad, drag it over to the black edge outside of your video (on input). On output, have it overlap your video where you need it, create as many subdivisions as you need, and adjust the mask. You may be able to use Bezier curves too.

The process is described toward the end of this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOcDM8yQZnE

Another option, which I wrote in another thread yesterday (if you have After Effects):

In After Effects' Preferences, under the Video Preview tab, select "Enable Mercury Transmit." Select your secondary display (the projector) as the video preview device. Handle the keystone with After Effects' Corner Pin effect. Handle any specific mapping with the Mesh Warp Effect. For each mask, create a new Shape Layer by navigating to the Layer Menu > New > Shape Layer. Set the Fill to black, and set the Stroke to none (click the text that reads "Stroke:" (not the rectangle next to it) and select the leftmost thumbnail in the popup window. (The term "None" will appear.) Then use the Pen tool to draw the path outlining your shape. Repeat this step for every mask. After Effects also allows Bezier curves with the Pen tool. Then re-export your video, bring it into MadMapper, and export to miniMAD as you had done before.

It's less complicated than it sounds...hope you find a solution!