Multiple Live Feeds
  • Kurt

Multiple Live Feeds

by Kurt » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:42 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a project that will require 4 live feeds. I'm planning on using an old video switcher to switch between the sources and send them into M8...But this will only allow one feed at a time...

Any suggestions on better ways to do this?
    Anyone using a computer-based software switcher that works good?
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:40 pm

Hi - to send a feed directly into M8 you will need to use Firewire; but you knew that.
    If your switcher is something like this:
    http://www.keene.co.uk/multi.php?mycode=BT942 it should work ok, there is a bit of a clunk as you switch, make sure you 'lock' the source on your projector so it doesn't get a chance to go off hunting for a signal, shouldn't happen.
    If you stay on the video capture layer in M8 as you switch you will notice a slight glitch, if you don't like that fade to another layer then back again.
    You will then need to convert the signal coming out of your switcher into Firewire with something like this:
    http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC55/index.php
    Take that into your computers firewire hub or straight in, hey presto.
    I've not heard of a software switcher that will do this. Let me know if there is one.
    This is all a lot smoother & easier if you have a video mixer.
    Hope I understood your thinking - Hope that helps.
    :)
    zoophar
    activ8 member

by zoophar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:30 pm

hello
    to use a multi camera input on m8, you can create a quartz composer document with more than one "Video Input"(Generator) patch connected with as many "sprite" patch (Renderer) with some Over blending...

and then import it in m8

PS: it is a bit hazardous,
    i've teested it with 2 webcams
    and i had to restart it 4 times until it worked

but it worked ;-)
  • benga

by benga » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm working on something similar but using flash .swf objects as the source of the feed.
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3577
    2 simultaneous feeds work fine ( video capture + other feed through a flash object), as illustrated with this webcam + videocapture screenshot. The key to having an infinity of potential simltaneous feeds is assigning the flash object to a specific source, and seeing if this is handled properly simultaneously. If it flash allows it, there is no limit to the number of feedsc imported as swf flash objects in the media bank.

b
    cie sisyphe heureux