Best way to record to disk
  • vanakaru
    master

Best way to record to disk

by vanakaru » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:50 pm

So what would be the best setup to record your sets?
    I am using PowerMac G4 with upgraded CPU 1.8ghz, lotsa RAM and 128mb video card. When I try to record to disk the set I have created it usually slows the mashine down to the point of no use.
    What is the recommended codec?
    Could it be better to use graphics card output (VGA or DVI) and how, with what gear?
    Could it be better to use firewire out o DV Camera and how to set it up?
    I am on Modul8 v.2.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Well, I found out that logical recording/rendering works better.
    There is a good explanation here already.
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=record
    And the manual obviously should have been read some times!
  • tape recorder

by tape recorder » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:13 am

I'm new to modul8 but if you're looking for an alternative to logical record I've been splitting my output and capturing it back into imovie on the same macbook pro running modul8!

Works suprisingly well..
  • Welkin

by Welkin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 am

I have found that snapzprox works stunningly well when capturing modul8's output

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

I haven't done any fine tuned tests to see how accurate it is, but I can definately see it works better than the logical record.
    final movies play back a lot closer to how they appear in realtime. and you can capture the out put at very high resolutions
    smoothly.(at least I was able to on my MPB 17" 2.16)

it costs around $60 but in my opinion its worth it. plus anything you see on your computer screen you can capture. including audio.

I haven't tried the imovie thing. sounds interesting..how do you split the output iand route it to imovie?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:55 pm

I tryed Snapz demo. I see no improvement over logical record and since it is heavy on CPU the recording is not smooth. I do not have a fastest mashine, but G4 1.4ghz 1.5 gig RAM with radeon 9700 usually works OK.
    Moreover I can not record high quality. This could be the demo limitation.
  • Welkin

by Welkin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:09 pm

I am running it on a G5 2.5 Quad...so thats probably why its working a lot smoother for me. always good to try the demo since there are so many different system configs.

what resolution and compression did you capture and render the movie at?

do you have a video camera of decent quality? you could send the output to your camera and record it. however you will be limited to the video camera's resolution.
  • brain

by brain » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:27 pm

the task:
    manipulating a video capture coming through a firewire analog-dv-converter and capturing a live mix to disk.

the tests:

a) record to disk: stuttering recording, no good

b) using a LOGICAL record over the live capture stream: perfect recording!

now the logical record effect settings of course are non-realtime, so its no real live mix. but i wonder IF the application can handle processing a live dv stream to a logical recording AND record full PAL realtime, why is it mot possible to get the same recording performance with live control handling? after all, the only difference is that the control parameters are prerecorded...

any ideas from the developers if this can be achieved?
  • dobba

by dobba » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:32 pm

vanakaru wrote:I tryed Snapz demo. I see no improvement over logical record and since it is heavy on CPU the recording is not smooth. I do not have a fastest mashine, but G4 1.4ghz 1.5 gig RAM with radeon 9700 usually works OK.
    Moreover I can not record high quality. This could be the demo limitation.

SNapzpro is very good but the demo is limted. It's not the best qulaity and it stutters on rendering.

The full version doesn't do this. :)