I need info about using Modul8 in a music video
    The Midi Thief
    master

I need info about using Modul8 in a music video

by The Midi Thief » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:31 am

I'm considering using Modul8 for creating a background in a music video. My plan is to record a bunch of material synched to the music (using BPM and maybe sound input) using logical recording/render and then, in the edit, put the green screened singer on top. Now, my question is, can I create a quality of the output that is high enough?

Of course I have to see to that my video and pngs are big enough to look good when scaled to it's maximum, but then I'm concerned about the quality of the render:

I can render any size and codec but how does Modul8 handle the scaling? Is it scaling it's 640x480 output to whatever size i specify? Or will it actually render straight in that size? Say my video clips are 720x576 and I render my Modul8 recordings in 720x576 will Modul8 scale from 640x480 to 720x576 or create a clean 720x576 output?

I guess some quaility loss is OK in this case, but the line between charming and unprofessional is very thin.

I would like to know more about the pros and cons in using Modul8 in professional video productions.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:05 am

no quality loss if your clips are larger or equal to the render size.
    transoptic

M8 for Video production

by transoptic » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:57 pm

I've just used M8 for a fairly large video project.... a 20 minute mix video for a corporate event. I needed to get logos and such in particular spots, and have some pretty regular spacing of some other elements throughout the video, and since it was a corporate client, have the ability to "revisit" elements if I wanted to change anything. So I basically rendered a bunch of 15-30 second clips at 720 x 540 out of Modul8, spliced it all together in After Effects, and delivered it on DVD. The Logical record outputs full-res just fine... no artifacts, as long as your mix source is equal to or greater than the output, as SIgma6 stated.

Also, I've made a background for a HD piece in Modul8... also no problems there... beautiful render. I'd feel safe doing something in hi-def as long as you have the processor and RAM to pull it off.

To my knowledge, logical record doesn't record reaction to external sound sources. You have to record direct to disk for that... which for me didn't work that well. Instead I mainly used the global BPM for the purpose of making things react to a beat in Logical Record, and for making my sequences at a consistent BPM in After Effects.