External drive vastly improves performance
  • spongemonkey

External drive vastly improves performance

by spongemonkey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:36 am

So I guess this somewhat of a tip, and maybe an obvious one, but I just got an external LaCie drive. 500gb 7200rpm with USB, Firewire 400/800 and eSata connections and a 16mb cache.
    In a nutshell, it has fixed the most nagging problem I have been having with Modul8. Mainly that my larger clips would stutter a bit or be jumpy and slow. Now everything runs smoooth. It is very nice!
    I'm only running it thru Firewire 400, because thats whats on my MacBook Pro, but I might get an eSata express card to bam things up a few more notches!
    Bam it with the spice weasel!

Anyhow - it is very cool to know that the sluggish problems I would have sometimes, were much more a result of simple slow drive speed, and not the software or my computer.
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:12 pm

I was looking at one of the rugged lacie drives for the same reason, but i wanted fw800 as my fw400 port is pretty loose on my mbp, have you tried fw800 on your drive yet, any difference?
  • spongemonkey

by spongemonkey » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 am

I originally wanted the rugged LaCie as well, but for the same price I paid, you only get 100gb and no eSata connection, and an 8mb cache.
    They have other models with bigger capacities in the rugged format, but they are 5400 rpm drive. I think a faster drive and a larger cache is better for delivering the video at a good speed.

Plus, honestly, this thing feels like a friggin brick. Although it is not all rubberized, I still feel like it is pretty safe and secure and not fragile in any way.

Just for the record, i got mine from Newegg.com.
  • metamorphosis

by metamorphosis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:20 pm

spongemonkey wrote:I originally wanted the rugged LaCie as well, but for the same price I paid, you only get 100gb and no eSata connection, and an 8mb cache.
    They have other models with bigger capacities in the rugged format, but they are 5400 rpm drive. I think a faster drive and a larger cache is better for delivering the video at a good speed.

Plus, honestly, this thing feels like a friggin brick. Although it is not all rubberized, I still feel like it is pretty safe and secure and not fragile in any way.

Just for the record, i got mine from Newegg.com.

Definitely want 7200rpm for video. 10krpm for RAW video (and even that may not work).
    Cheers,
    M@