How many of you are using ONLY Modul8 for live work?
    ri

How many of you are using ONLY Modul8 for live work?

by ri » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:29 am

Looks like I booked another set of concert visuals! Woohoo! My main question comes about with properly failsafing a performance.

My last few, I used only Modul8 > Projector, but I want to bring in some other software and the ability to deal with a computer freeze. I've been looking at an Edirol V-4 after watching hijinx play with one at a Cheb Sabbah show. He was not using a computer however... instead video feedback with a cam, dvd player, etc! An amazing artist.

But I digress...

I have been thinking of picking up a V4 and using another powerbook into it running visualizer software, and a sony 8 camera for feedback, being able to switch between with the V4. My main computer is a Macbook Pro 2.4. I like this as I can run a couple projectors, and failsafe off a machine if need be. Is this overkill?

What are your setups that work for all you creatives? I hate to carry a G5 around!
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:14 am

we play with a v4, it's quite a standard setup

• VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:56 am

I use Modul8 on a mbp, controlled by a Codanova, a V4 mixer, a camera outputting via firewire to the mbp and S-Video to the V4 and an iPod video with some 10 minute mixes for those moments when i need to change projects & for freezes. The final output then goes thru a Korg Entrancer.
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

by sonicslice » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:36 am

I play with a variety of gear depending on the situation, I do sometimes play with just modul8, with an output to the projector, if I want the content to be as sharp as possible then i do this with VGA straight from the computer - but i also use an MX-12 (can't afford a V4) and a camera, a DVD player with short mixes for dealing with crashes and changes of footage.

I have thought about seeing if I can get a capture card working with modul8 and put the camera through it and only use the mixer in extremis. Obviously it would be nice to be able to mix VGA sources directly without switching to Svid.
    VjKg
    super8 member

V-4 is the Shit

by VjKg » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:39 am

If you can afford it the V-4 is the way to go. The unit is rock solid. I have never had an issue once. I started basic Vjing in '98 with a Videonics MX-1, Live Cams and VHS decks with 2 hour home made effects tapes. I would have to put a bang box on the output from the MX-1 because of it's habit of rebooting often. The bang box was fed the output of a VHS deck as a CYA. The V-4 will not let you down. I've been using it for 3 years at least once a week and I still find new ways to use it all the time. Even if you only input the M8 output you can effect the A channel differently then the B channel. With this you can mix or key the 2 for added effect beyond just M8.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:08 pm

We use M8 ony : 2 mbp with a vixid video mixer and 2 video cameras and a BCF 2000 and a trigger finger

for lighter installations we use a V4 instead of the vixid
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:20 pm

I use modul8 controlled with a BCR and a Trigger Finger, I also have an entrancer which acts as an effects unit and mixer for other inputs (Camera, ipod etc), but I used to have just md8 straight into the projector and never had any problems with that (unlike Arkaos!)
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:44 am

M8, MBP, uc33, Svid distribution amp
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:41 am

I use M8 plus a CG8, KPE and a kaptivator.

makes for a very flexible system, especially over multiple screens
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

by sonicslice » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:25 am

I change from gig to gig, I'm not sure if I've done a gig with the exact same et up yet...last gig I did was a camera running into M8 via DV/FW with M8 outputting Via VGA, being controlled by a Kenton Control Freak. But I've done gigs with just the laptop straight to the projector, no controllers, sometimes there's a mixer and I do it all S-vid, sometimes DVD's etc. etc. in the first case this as based on something specific that the band wanted, other times its a whim and if I have to walk to the gig, go on the train or get the car etc.
  • spongemonkey

by spongemonkey » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:18 pm

I use M8 in company of a V4 and a DVD player or two (or three).

Oh, and not unlike VjKg, I too started with an MX-1, VCRs and a boat-load of VHS tapes. I did that for years... hauling around all that heavy stuff.
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:51 am

Would you all mind putting names of what some of those items are next to the model numbers? Not everyone here is up on all of what represents what?

2 Powerbooks
    Edirol V4 Mixer
    Camera
    Small AD Converter
    wygiwys
    activ8 member

by wygiwys » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:24 am

For most shows I use 2 cam's, a panasonic mx50 (videomixer), my ol' laptop (running resolume) and a dvd player... But I really want to use modul8 on my mac mini now. It's much nicer and you can be more creative...
    We VJ with our self made clips, video animation, archive video, we've got over 400 now, which we are proud of (I know you've got more, but we are still 16 and have lots of other things to do).
    What You Get Is What You See
    WYGIWYS.tv