• nicksmix

ONCE AND FOR ALL: HOW TO SYNC MODUL8 TO ABLETON LIVE

by nicksmix » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 pm

A. How to route midi clock from Live to Modul8

Download MidiPipe:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/16154

Open Live and Modul8

Open MidiPipe
    -Double Click "Midi In" and "Midi Out" on the left menu, so that they appear on the right.

In Live, go to Preferences / Midi Sync
    You should see the layer Output: Midi Pipe Input 1... Turn Sync [ON] for that layer

Go to Modul8 / Modules pull down menu / select BPM (Global)
    Press play in the upper right of the BPM (Global) module
    Select "Use Midi Clock" in the BPM (Global) module

Press play in Live, and you should now be seeing Live's tempo in Modul8.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please share how you have used this to make Live and Modul8 interact with eachother
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

by sonicslice » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Why bother using a third party application to do what core midi can do already?

You just use the IAC driver in the midi audio settings utility and then follow from here:

In Live, go to Preferences / Midi Sync
    You should see the layer Output: Midi Pipe Input 1... Turn Sync [ON] for that layer

Go to Modul8 / Modules pull down menu / select BPM (Global)
    Press play in the upper right of the BPM (Global) module
    Select "Use Midi Clock" in the BPM (Global) module

Press play in Live, and you should now be seeing Live's tempo in Modul8.

changing midi pipe to IAC driver.
  • nicksmix

by nicksmix » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:55 am

Well, they both work. Thanks for posting though, I think I'll be using your method from now on...

My next objective is how to route actions of an effect or instrument within Live to a parameter of modul8.
    I read a post where someone was saying they had beatrepeat triggering things in modul8... How is this possible??

Has anyone been doing this? Tell me what combinations you've been using and the steps you've taken to connect the two.

I just found the module "Layer Sequencer 10x16" which slaves itself to the bpm. What a badass module. Something cool would be using that with the random frame selector, if the frame selector actually played a portion of the movie instead of just a frame... is there something like that out there?

I'll be happy if someone answers any of these questions. Ecstatic if someone answers all of them.
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

by sonicslice » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:48 pm

nicksmix wrote:Something cool would be using that with the random frame selector, if the frame selector actually played a portion of the movie instead of just a frame... is there something like that out there?

I'll be happy if someone answers any of these questions. Ecstatic if someone answers all of them.

The GN chopper does half of that, you could use ableton to sequence the buttons on it, or you could take the sequencing code from the sequencer and then the chopper code from the other and combine then so the sequencer triggers the buttons on the chopper not the mutes on the interface.
  • Przm

Abelton Sample/Note to trigger clip to start in Modul8 ?

by Przm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 am

BPM stuff is cool n all...

but how on earth do we hook this sorta classic shiz up then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8-QDCKdVO4 (Timber - Coldcut)

This was most likely done using the video clips as the sound source knowing those guys, but if we flip it in reverse:

If I'm hitting keys or triggering samples in Abelton and sending the message to Modul8 to start this or that clip depending on the key.

What's the set-up here?
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah Hextatic was using Pioneer's DVJ players and a V4 hooked up with MIDI. At least when I warmed up for them in 2007. I remember them glancing at my screen and asking "What are using? We haven't used software for years".

Anyhow, this should be possible with Live if you do a separate MIDI track triggering the video clips in Modul8. I've done similar stuff. I'm looking into new methods now but I thought handling effects like the beat repeater was simpler using the MIDI straight from the MIDI controller rather than routing it from Live. So the same MIDI controller would controll your sound effect in Live and a visual effect in Modul8.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Timber was made using vjam which was developed for the task.
    As it's been mentioned Hextatic only mix dvds live, all the videos are prerendered.
  • alstonamos

Re: ONCE AND FOR ALL: HOW TO SYNC MODUL8 TO ABLETON LIVE

by alstonamos » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:10 pm

I thought handling effects like the beat repeater was simpler using the MIDI straight from the MIDI controller rather than routing it from Live. So the same MIDI controller would controll your sound effect in Live and a visual effect in Modul8????
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:02 pm

what you can do with a controller is extremely basic compared to what you can do with MIDI coming from ableton. A controller is great for triggering clips and adjusting parameters but if you want full-on synch MIDI clips are the only way. You only have 2 hands, ableton has infinite.
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

by geoffmatters » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Did you see https://vimeo.com/40779697 ?

There are 2 "LB - " modules which allow MIDI control over media and parameters (respectively) via MIDI. This makes some use cases like "flash a media with every Ableton drum hit" pretty easy to set up. Getting the MIDI events to be in the appropriate channel for the layer you want to target is probably the hardest bit, I find Ableton pretty awkward in this regard.
  • Pregily

by Pregily » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Specially register to say THANK YOU for this manual, hopefully I did IT, many thanks! Everything is working now!