Movie Tempo based on BPM
    The Midi Thief
    master

Movie Tempo based on BPM

by The Midi Thief » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I want to change the playback speed of my movie clips based on the BPM. Is there already a simple solution for this? I didn't find any module that does this. I saw a request to add this function to the Movie Time Function but it seems like it never happened. The other option is to write the module myself. I want to see if my concept is right.

This is what I need it for: I've got two artists running Abelton Live. They are triggering graphics with MIDI in Modul8 through the MIDI-keyboard module. I have video sequences that are timed to the music. But when they are playing live they could play the music at any tempo, which means that my video sequences will get out of synch.

This is what I'm thinking:
    If I resample the tunes to the same BPM and reedit my video animations to synch to the new tempo. Let's say it's synced to 127 BMP which then equals 100% speed (or 0,25 on the speed fader). An increase or decrease of the BPM will result in a speed change (Ok, still need to figure out the right math here. I'm mega stressed now, so that's for later).
    Them I'll just set the tempo of layer 1 to the new tempo.

Does this concept sound right? Keeping in mind how the MIDI Keyboard module works.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:38 pm

BPM router will do what you want.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:57 pm

mowgli_uk wrote:BPM router will do what you want.

I doubt that, but please tell me how, because you might of course be right.

This is how I want it to function:
    if a midi note is trigged (or someone is pressing the key on the MIDI Keyboard 60 V1 module) the video is going to play in the right tempo (based on the BPM) while the key is down. I have a hard time seeing how that could work with the BPM router module.

(sorry if I didn't provide enough info in my first post.)
    wygiwys
    activ8 member

by wygiwys » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:50 am

Put the bpm router on a layer. Put some media into that layer, and use the bypass layer button (map it to your midi thing) to show it.
    Maybe that'll work...
    What You Get Is What You See
    WYGIWYS.tv
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:14 pm

If you assign the BPM router layer to the movie shuttle the movie will play at the right BPM,
    if you then use the MIDI keyboard module with trigger selected to fire your clips you've got exactly what you want.