anyway to automatically load media into mbank from a folder?
  • benga

anyway to automatically load media into mbank from a folder?

by benga » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:53 am

Hello all
    I'm looking into motion sensor generated media ( clips or still images), and was wondering if there was anyway to automatically load media into the media banks. The idea would be for instance to have motion sensor generated stills, either automatically updated or loaded into the media bank via some sort of import media from folder scripting.

one work around ( as i don't have the quartz composer or max msp / pure data knowledge to look into such coding) i've been thinking of would be via a kind of streaming .mov file.
    if such a file could be loaded into the media bank, and a camera was connected to the kind of automatic server update used in surveillance, the camera could be set of by a motion sensor, record, and send to the "webserver", from which the .mov would stream the data, thus updating the media loaded in the bank. this type of auto media update could open up some possibilities. this is basically an extension of what is discussed here http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... =streaming but with no online stream, using an intenral feed instead
    has anyone worked on similar processes involving an automation of the media loading into M8 or an automatic update / change of the preloaded media ?

all the best

ben
    Last edited by benga on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:29 pm

I did someting similar for an installation.

I've made a module that was reloading a file every 20 seconds. That file was generated with Processing also every 20 seconds.

I didn't unsderstand what you really want to do, but if you don't need a fast refresh, this can be a solution. But you need the last beta in order to have all the keywords you need.
  • benga

by benga » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:11 am

sigma6 wrote:I did someting similar for an installation.

I've made a module that was reloading a file every 20 seconds. That file was generated with Processing also every 20 seconds.

I didn't unsderstand what you really want to do, but if you don't need a fast refresh, this can be a solution. But you need the last beta in order to have all the keywords you need.

I know it's a little confusing because i'm looking a different possibilities at the same time, and it's not very clear for me yet as to which will be the most useful. But a module automatically loading media is very interesting.

the main idea is to basically automatically load media into the media from a "dynamic" location, so what your module was doing would be great I think, and I do have the last beta. I would love to try it if this is alright with you.
    I think I would be working from still or video files generated by surveillance cam motion sensor triggering instead of Processing.

thanks

ben
    cie sisyphe heureux
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:41 am

ok, I see.

My module is a bit more complicated as it was changing 6 different layers at the same time and also doing a slideshow from "static" medias in the mediabank.

Do you feel comfortable with python programming? I can send you my module if you want but I don't have time to modify it to keep only what you want to do or add comments so you understand what does what...

Give me your email address via private msg if you're interested.
  • benga

by benga » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:45 pm

sigma6 wrote:ok, I see.

My module is a bit more complicated as it was changing 6 different layers at the same time and also doing a slideshow from "static" medias in the mediabank.

Do you feel comfortable with python programming? I can send you my module if you want but I don't have time to modify it to keep only what you want to do or add comments so you understand what does what...

Give me your email address via private msg if you're interested.

done.
    i'd love to look into it, thanks
    i found other reference to a dynamic media loading module in the forum but nothing concrete in the module libraries

ben
    cie sisyphe heureux