Modul8 through Skype Feed
  • richardboase

Modul8 through Skype Feed

by richardboase » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:32 pm

I found a bundle of programs which allows you to broadcast a live modul8 feed through Skype.
    Its a bit clunky i.e. its a little unstable and there is a bit of a lag on my macbookpro - (but maybe not on a really fast machine)

W to A for the normal skype video feed (Set skype to CamcamX)
    X to A for a dual feed passing through CamcamX (Set Camcam X to two cameras)
    Y to A for a dual feed using Grabber Raster to provide an extra feed for CamcamX

The broadcast appchain is as follows - Z to A to thread a Modul8 feed through through Grabber Raster. Sometimes there is a conflict with the feeds. Make sure that Modul8 is set to CamcamX feed, CamcamX is set to Leopard feed and Grabber Raster Feed and that Modul8 is set to VCR-DV - this gives you two camera feeds, one from the leopard isight cam and one external camera (assuming you have one)

You can load clips as normal into Modul8 and mix them with your external camera, and load clips direct into CamcamX if you want to mix from there too. Just one recommendation - you shouldn't try to switch sources on CamcamX once its going, because it takes forever and gets itself in a twist.

Also, when quitting the appchain, quit grabber raster last.

Modul8 through grabber raster to camcamX to skype -

Camera feed through modul8 to grabber raster and from leopard i-sight to CamcamX

QT feed through modul8 to grabber raster and leopard i-sight to camcamX

QT feed and VCR-DV mixed in modul8- threaded through raster grabber and mixed with leopard i-sight cam in camcamX

The whole shebang - fully functional Modul8 feed through Skype!

This might be a REALLY dumb way to do it - I have no idea, and I'm sure there are multiple ways to screencast - but I'm pretty pleased that I got it working in this way.

Would be nice to see Modul8 include these functions natively (a feed to Skype and another cam input)

You can download the CamcamX and Grabber Raster from here -
    http://b-l-a-c-k-o-p.com/download/

Skype me to see it working - Skype name - Dikkhu
    www.richardboase.com

CHEZ KRIM
    www.myspace.com/karimsappartment
    www.myspace.com/psycheandecho
    = Cyborgs like myself have a tendency to be paranoid about our origins =
    wygiwys
    activ8 member

by wygiwys » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:40 pm

What a great software.
    Figured a way to get a firewire videofeed from modul8> Use grabber raster to catch the output from modul8, send it back as a webcam, and use quartz composer to show the webcam, and then send it out via firewire. GREAT!
    What You Get Is What You See
    WYGIWYS.tv
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Brilliant! Thanks for posting, I though about something like this a while ago but never looked into it, you've done the ground work for me. Now I can start my skype tv channel!
  • brendara

by brendara » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 am

What are the copyright laws for painting that uses source material via skype without permission? I live in Canada, so does this affect the copyright law as opposed to U.S. law? My main question is about the infringement of privact rights? Where does public domain come into play when using webcams?

by birdiedaboy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

hey! i tried to do this setup but i dindt get it right, i just cant get skype to recognize de digital input of camcam x, grabberraster works great, goes to camcamx, found the isight cam camx in skype preferences, the thing is nothing appear! can you please help me out
    Repeat after me: I am free
    birdiedaboy

Re: Modul8 through Skype Feed

by birdiedaboy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Ok, so i didn't got any answer from here so I kept working my way around trough this instructions until I found something that worked and maybe an easier solution for these now that there is a newer version of M8, I am using my I sight camera and a PS3 eye cam as second source of video input, I can use it directly with M8 it automatically recognizes it as a video input so I can put booth video inputs in different layers in different groups and activate the fade function for groups for switching between them, so there is no need for CamCamX, then once you have dont that, you need to transmit your output as a video signa, in here they used the GrabberRaster which I think it doesn't really works good because you cannot use your spaces, and if you are on a laptop and you are trying to run this with many app windows and you want to keep each stuff maybe in a different space in your mac so it's more organized and you cant to this with GrabberRaster because it will only grab the part of the screen on the space that you are active on, so the solution for this is another app from BLACKOP that doesn't have this problem is the GrabberWindow http://b-l-a-c-k-o-p.com/GrabberWindow.html (there is a free version but gives you a watermark, buying the license removes it) so I am using this instead of the GrabberRaster and I can change spaces and have no problem with the transmit it will always be what I choose which in these case is M8's output, then you just simply open up your video calling application (I have tried it with Skype, G+ Hangouts, FBvideo and Chatroullette) and choose in the settings as your video input the virtual input that GrabberWindow has created for you, just select it click ok and you are ready to go!
    There are many possibilities and different approches to this, people react in so many different ways when they see this kind of stuff around the web its nice to play with it, if you have an ipad, its really nice to seat infront of the computer talking to people while distorting or changing stuff around you give it a try!
    Repeat after me: I am free