OSCulator MIDI mapping in Modul8
  • vanakaru
    master

OSCulator MIDI mapping in Modul8

by vanakaru » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:11 am

I am trying to set up OSCemote on my iPod to control Modu8 parameters. I use OSCulator to convert OSC to Midi. I see Osculator working, but mapping to Modul8 does not do anything.
    With the previous version of OSCualtor(5.6) I routed OSCulator to IAC Bus with Plogue Bildue and then it worked at least for mapping buttons to clips. With v.6.1 PB does not list a device OSCulator any more. And direct output from OSCulator does not show up in M8.
    Any help would be nice!
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Hello vanakaru,

with OSCulator 2.6.1 :
    - launch OSCulator
    - in OSCemote, press the button you want to map
    [it should appear in OSCulator, if not check your firewall settings in System Preferences]
    - in OSCulator, assign them a MIDI note, for example : Midi note, C-1 on channel 1
    - launch Modul8, if it does not get you midi info, try Mapping | rescan midi devices.

Best regards.

David
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank you for a advise, but that I have already done. So you say that you can get OSCulator to send midi directly to Modul8. If so there is a brake somewhere on the line.
    When I use other midi devices I can map these in M8 without a problem.
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:06 pm

Hello vanakaru,

do you see OSCulator receiving messages from OSCemote ?

I had a problem with. I add to start OSCemote after starting OSCulator and if the iPhone/iPod goes in sleep mode, I have to quit and relaunch OSCemote to be able to see its message.

Sometimes OSCulator is not detected as a Midi device, so I have to ask Modul8 to rescan Midi devices.

To see what Modul8 is seeing as Midi messages you could make a little module with just code in the DirectEvent(type, param) callback :

Code: Select all

if type == 'MIDI':
       print ' param=', param

Then click Modules | Save all changes and Restart
    Open the script output : Modules | Script | Show Script Output

You should see messages like :

Code: Select all

param= {'timestamp': 5856453639271.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 0, 'message': 'NOTE_ON', 'rawEvent': 144, 'param2': 64}
    param= {'timestamp': 5856589173953.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 0, 'message': 'NOTE_OFF', 'rawEvent': 128, 'param2': 64}

If not redo a "rescan midi devices".

Which version of OSCulator are you using ?
    Do you already have something connected to the IAC bus ? If yes, you could try to add more ports to the IAC bus.

David.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:19 pm

HA! that was the bit of info I was looking for. namely how to get log of midi events in modul8. I saw it some time back, but could not locate the post. thanks!
    I am using latest v6.1, but I have 5.6 still installed and this one has OSCulator Out showing up in other apps like MidiPipe.
    Actually I got it working partly when I created new login account, so there must be something running that prevents Modul8 to receive from OSCulator.
    One more thing though, how you set up sliders in OSCulator to have them mapped to Modul8 sliders. What do you choose from OScu parameters.
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:48 pm

vanakaru wrote:ctually I got it working partly when I created new login account, so there must be something running that prevents Modul8 to receive from OSCulator.
    One more thing though, how you set up sliders in OSCulator to have them mapped to Modul8 sliders. What do you choose from OScu parameters.

I only tested OSCemote Lite (no slider), but I think mapping slider to Midi command would do the job. It should send a value between 0 and 127 and allow to pilot the slider and knob in Modul8.
    CSVJOrlando

Mapping out

by CSVJOrlando » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Forgive me for asking, but have you mapped everything in Modul? I have been using this set-up for about 6 months now, and have no problem. It is very tedious to go through and map each control to a specific part, but once that is done, here is no issue. OSCulator allows Modul8 (and many other pieces of software) to read the Open SOund Control Messages as MIDI mesasges. Hope this helps.
    CSVJOrlando

AND...

by CSVJOrlando » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:25 pm

You should map everything in OSCulator as MIDI CC (A couple serve well as MIDI CC toggles, but that's up to you). Just start at 1 and go up. And write everything down, cause you will forget. My "Cheat Sheet" has saved my life at a few shows.