triggering clips as & when
    g4jon

triggering clips as & when

by g4jon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:13 pm

hello
    I need to trigger a series of clips whilst a band is playing. Trigger the clips to play only once then stop (not loop), then trigger the next clip and so on. The clips are for say verse one, then chorus, then verse two then chorus and so on.

What module is the the best to use (if one is needed)
    How would I set up my midi controller (RemoteSL) in respect to midi mapping and using buttons to trigger the clips, and the Focus + Layer + Position etc

thanks
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:15 pm

YOU COULD TRY SLIDESHOW
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:29 am

in this respect there are two types of bands.
    ones that play instruments
    ones that use playback of some kind

if your band uses playback ( click track, protools/logic, dj, drum machine, whatever) just edit a complete video for each track as it will always be the same speed and structure.

if however its a jazz band for example, you'll have to play the set live along with them. especially if they improvise

you can do this without MIDI, if you do decide to use a MIDI controller, just set the sliders in M8 you use most, to the controls that are easiest to find.
    i usually just set a layer to crossfade and then just click on clips at the right time.

in the long run, you'll find it a lot easier to make finished videos in an editing program, than try and fiddle with lots of parameters in M8 in a live situation.
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Some suggestions based on my experiences with creating live setups.

- Set the clip playback mode of the layer you want to use to 'play once.'

- Leave this layer blank or with another media that is maybe looping.

- At the appropriate time (rehearsals are useful in this case) simply click on the media that you want triggered. It will start playing from its first frame.

If you coordinate with the group are you doing visuals with get the approximate time of the chorus or whatever they are doing. If they want the projector to display nothing at the end of the specified point in the music then insert a fade to black or black frame at the end of the clip.

If it needs to go to the previous media displayed rehearse it so that you click back to that media.

I am not entirely familiar with the Remote SL but if the square pads are anything like the pads on my m-audio trigger finger you can just assign them to the media set to trigger the media.

As DeepVisual points out you probably want to keep things as simple as possible.

From my own personal experience rehearsing with the group and learning the ques for when to triggering media makes the whole thing more exciting and rewarding then just having one clip that is timed for the whole thing.

There are actually a bunch of other ways to do this within modul8. If you need more suggestions please do not hesitate to ask.
    g4jon

thanks

by g4jon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks for the info. The band does use a clicker track so I might just make a movie for the each songs duration. I can then do some live stuff over the top of this. once a gain.. thanks!