Midi control function
  • User avatar
    VjKg
    super8 member
    Posts: 169
    Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 pm
    Location: Philly
    Contact:

    Midi control function

    by VjKg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 am

    When I first got Modul8 I did not have a midi controller. I learned how to use it via keyboard and mouse. After using several midi controllers I found that I would map for what was needed for the gig. I never got a groove and have a hard time remembering what knob or button does what. I find myself often using the keyboard and mouse instead of my controller.

    My question is this, is there a way to map a midi controller knob the work with whatever knob I currently have selected. Often I need better fine tuning then mouse will allow so I am looking to have one global knob that will affect only the currently selected knob or slider in the Modul8 gui.

    Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.
  • meiso
    member
    Posts: 35
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:34 am
    Location: Montreal, Canada
    Contact:

    by meiso » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 pm

    I don't know the answer to your question but I have some helpful advice!!

    It's pretty easy to build yourself a cut-out template for any MIDI controller. I use a UC33e controller, and it comes with templates you can write on to remember what knob/slider does what. The easiest and simplest way is to simply use some masking tape, stick a little bit under each knob and label the controls by writing directly onto the tape. If you take the time to make a cut-out template though, you can use different templates for different gigs (and different MIDI control setups).

    Hope this helps!!
  • vanakaru
    master
    Posts: 669
    Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:24 pm

    by vanakaru » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:54 pm

    http://girtonlabs.googlepages.com/sensesurface

    or it would be great to use mouse scroll wheel. click and rotate-slide. maybe somebody can program mouse to do that.
  • User avatar
    VjKg
    super8 member
    Posts: 169
    Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 pm
    Location: Philly
    Contact:

    by VjKg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:52 am

    I know this is an option. I posted one a long time ago. On this thread


    Image


    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1959&highlight=bcr2000


    I still find I am much quicker with the mouse and just need one knob that could fine tune the knob or slider I am trying to tweak. I tend to let my visuals stand on their own and not effect much but I have been doing more and more mapping and need a way to quickly tweak size and scale if my new layer is off from the previous.
  • Vibber
    super8 member
    Posts: 161
    Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 pm

    by Vibber » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 pm

    I was actually trying at some point to make a module that does exactly that for the same reasons as you mention.
    A small module with one button and so you could map your midi controller to that button and it would in turn manipulate whatever control is currently selected in the interface.

    I got stuck because there are some issues to be solved - mainly: how do you prevent the knob in the interface from 'jumping' to the position that your midi controller is at when you start turning it. That's an issue with all midi control actually - but even more so with a module like this.

    Otherwise a somewhat useful tip is to use the arrow keys in the keyboard. However I don't like that the motion is jagged and not smooth.
  • vanakaru
    master
    Posts: 669
    Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:24 pm

    by vanakaru » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 am

    Vibber wrote:
    Otherwise a somewhat useful tip is to use the arrow keys in the keyboard.


    Uhh! I did not know this. We learn something every day!
  • User avatar
    VjKg
    super8 member
    Posts: 169
    Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 pm
    Location: Philly
    Contact:

    by VjKg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 pm

    HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS? lol. Thanks for the awesome tip.
  • ilan

    another bit of advice

    by ilan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:47 am

    There is something that almost every DJ and musician in general must do in order to perfect their performances: rehearse.

    Take your time to rehearse your setup a little bit everyday and your mind and body will automatically remember what knob or slider controls what function in your software.

    Another piece of advice I can give is to to try to map your controls so they somewhat mirror those of the software interface. This is why I use the Trigger Finger because the pads mirror the media set.

    All that said I still very often use the trackpad and keyboard for on the fly mapping during VJ sets. Its nice to be able to have an idea and quickly map a slider to say the speed and distance of the animation fx so you can wobble things around to the rhythm of the music.

    Hope this illuminates... :)
  • vanakaru
    master
    Posts: 669
    Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:24 pm

    Re: another bit of advice

    by vanakaru » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 am

    ilan wrote:There is something that almost every DJ and musician in general must do in order to perfect their performances: rehearse.

    Take your time to rehearse your setup a little bit everyday and your mind and body will automatically remember what knob or slider controls what function in your software.

    Another piece of advice I can give is to to try to map your controls so they somewhat mirror those of the software interface. This is why I use the Trigger Finger because the pads mirror the media set.

    All that said I still very often use the trackpad and keyboard for on the fly mapping during VJ sets. Its nice to be able to have an idea and quickly map a slider to say the speed and distance of the animation fx so you can wobble things around to the rhythm of the music.

    Hope this illuminates... :)


    Good to point this out once again!
  • anomad
    master
    Posts: 412
    Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:07 pm
    Location: north cakalacky, usa
    Contact:

    Re: another bit of advice

    by anomad » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:03 pm

    ilan wrote: Another piece of advice I can give is to to try to map your controls so they somewhat mirror those of the software interface.


    . and if your controller doesn't really resemble modul8 - create your own module that looks like your setup and map the controls to modul8's functions!


    -james
    (a nomad. )
  • TG01
    junior Member
    Posts: 9
    Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 am
    Location: Istanbul

    by TG01 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:33 am

    mainly: how do you prevent the knob in the interface from 'jumping' to the position that your midi controller is at when you start turning it.

    yeah is there a solution for this?
  • mowgli_uk
    master
    Posts: 464
    Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm
    Location: LONDON

    by mowgli_uk » Mon May 04, 2009 1:26 am

    TG01 wrote:mainly: how do you prevent the knob in the interface from 'jumping' to the position that your midi controller is at when you start turning it.

    yeah is there a solution for this?


    For that you need a MIDI controller with endless rotary encoders and have the settings on incremental rather than absolute values.
  • TG01
    junior Member
    Posts: 9
    Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 am
    Location: Istanbul

    by TG01 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 pm

    mowgli_uk wrote:
    TG01 wrote:mainly: how do you prevent the knob in the interface from 'jumping' to the position that your midi controller is at when you start turning it.

    yeah is there a solution for this?


    For that you need a MIDI controller with endless rotary encoders and have the settings on incremental rather than absolute values.


    so how do i set incremental value for behringer bcr2000?
  • mowgli_uk
    master
    Posts: 464
    Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm
    Location: LONDON

    by mowgli_uk » Sat May 09, 2009 5:19 pm

  • jockety
    activ8 member
    Posts: 72
    Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 pm

    by jockety » Sat May 09, 2009 10:42 pm

    I think the new akai apc 40 looks like an interesting controller (with endless rotary's). It's designed specifically for ableton live but i plan to use it to fire clips and scenes from ableton and then send midi to modul8. No midi out is a bit of a bummer tho, just usb.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydOFGR3ZIA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest