Making masks with the painter layer
  • jockety
    activ8 member

Making masks with the painter layer

by jockety » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:30 pm

I discovered an easy way to mask an area using the painter layer. I was trying to mask a very large area which was being covered by 3 projectors (Each one was a different model)
    using a triple head 2 go. I realized that taking photo's from each projector location was going to be a nightmare in photoshop later. So, i used the Painter layer to paint my projection area white, then render output as a PNG. Once PNG was imported into Photoshop preparing Mask was very quick because it was black + white.
    I think this would be even easier with a wacom tablet, i will invest in one me finks.
  • idmism

by idmism » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 pm

how do u render as PNG?
    as i render as photo-Jpeg/tiff but it wont appear.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 pm

idmism wrote:how do u render as PNG?
    as i render as photo-Jpeg/tiff but it wont appear.

Actually what we are talking here is Render>Output Screenshot, that produce PNG file on your desktop. Nothing to do with recording, capturing.
    Last edited by vanakaru on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:02 am

. nice tip! :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:41 am

it actually doesn't work in a advanced output setup if you have multiple clips… Last time I did a screenshot of the preview window then I vectorized the whole thing into photoshop in order to make it the right resolution, then tried in modul8, and corrected my vector path in photoshop for small mistakes.

You can also do the whole thing in photoshop or illustrator, working with vectors is the best solution for masking, it allows fine tuning and easy modification.